ad: MyersEng-1

Special Event Stations & Mobile/QRP Stations

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NM5TF, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NM5TF

NM5TF Ham Member QRZ Page

While listening to the pileups on 10M yesterday trying to work the special event stations in the Falkland Islands,
    I was reminded of something that seems to occur most of the time....the operator never seems to take the time
    to call for mobile or QRP stations....

I for 1, with my 25 Watts into a mag-mount vertical, certainly can't compete with someone pushing a KW into a
    multi-element Yagi on a tall tower....and the sigs were pretty good yesterday....

it's not like I haven't worked VP8 before, I even talked to Bob VP8LP on 10M with my 25 W, so it is possible...I
    was just throwing out a suggestion to the OP's that do these special events/expeditions....maybe every 15-30
    minutes, put out a call for Mobile/QRP stations.....

what do ya'll think ???

2. W5KAL

W5KAL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I am not sure how to respond other than with my own experiences.

I have worked several DX stations with just 100 watts and my homebrew inverted V wire dipole, at around 25 feet at the peak. Using an old Rohn TV antenna push up pole from the previous owners.

I don't have the $$$$ for a big contest station / antenna so I have learned to work the pileups with patience. You can get a feel for how the OP chooses which station to pull from the pileup relatively quickly. Usually 5 minutes or less, depending on the length of the QSO.

Of coarse I understand that my location here in Texas does help with the South American / Caribbean stations.
    I have also a confirmed contact with Antarctica.

I do agree however that in a contest, a good OP will take time to get in some DX and QRP / LOW POWER stations. I have experienced this first hand as I worked a station in Florida with my station at 5 watts. Then forgot to turn the power back up and worked a pileup QRP and did not realize it until after I had done it !!!!! WOW !!!

Keep On Trying and don't let the low power station you have give you any grief. It's more fun this way !!!!! At least in my humble short time experience opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.