ad: Flexradio-1

Hurricane Watch Network Activated for Gonzalo (Cat 4)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC7RUN, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7RUN

KC7RUN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hurricane Watch Net Is Active On 14.325.00 MHz for Hurricane Gonzalo (Cat 4).

Activated Mode – A Hurricane is currently affecting land within the HWN area of interest.

Members of the Hurricane Watch Net and the Maritime Mobile Service Net are currently operating on 14.320.00 MHz to assist with Persons, Maritimes or anyone in distress from the ferocity of Hurricane Gonzalo now positioned in the Atlantic Ocean.

Anyone wishing to listen to the Net is encouraged to tune to 14.325.00 MHz. For those that have never heard a Hurricane Net you are reminded to not checkin to the Net unless you are an active, recognized member, of the Hurricane Watch Net.

If you would like to learn more about the Net please visit HWN.ORG.

2. KC7RUN

FOLLOW UP INFORMATION - MORE DETAIL

Operations began at 5:00 PM EDT 2100 UTC Oct 16, 2014.
    Primary net frequency of 14.325 MHz.

We will move to 7.268 MHz at 9:00 PM EDT 0100 UTC.

Net operations resume on 14.325 MHz.

The net will remain active until the 20 meter closes Friday evening.

The net will resume operations Saturday morning at 6:00 AM EDT 1000 UTC to assist in gathering post storm reports and forward information to the proper authorities.

Health and Welfare traffic will be handled by the SATERN net.

PLEASE NOTE: These plans are subject to change. For the latest information on Hurricane Gonzalo and activation plans, please visit HWN.ORG.

3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys do a great job. Thanks & 73!

4. KI4YHX

KI4YHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  5. PD0MV

PD0MV Ham Member QRZ Page

That frequency 14325 KHz or 14320KHz is not accepted to transmit with my NOVICE license Hihi i can only listen !! I'm busy to complete my study for the full license so i can up for examination over a few mounths ;-)
    My 20m spectrum is only from 14,0 to 14,25 MHz with my NOVICE license ;-)
    I have write on a paper this frequency 14,320 MHz - 14,325 MHz very interesting a Hurricane watch Net ;-)
    I'am a little prepper and storm chaser but i have not the stuff for hunting on a real tornado hihi.

73 de PDØMV <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/2044197c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

6. KC7RUN

Why do you blame the Volunteer Emergency Operators of the Hurricane Watch Net & the Maritime Mobile Service Net for this mans death?
    There is no log of this gentleman, or anyone, calling for assistance into the Maritime Mobile Service Net or the Hurricane Watch Net on those dates, or any other dates for that matter.

7. W3BEK

W3BEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great work and thank you for taking a few minutes to inform me of your NET this weekend. KC3CFW from York, PA.

As a BSA- JOTA station coordinator we will not transmit on the frequencies you listed.
    We may listen with the Boy Scouts to learn how a NET works, but only listen unless called upon for assistance.

Thanks for all you are doing to provide comms for the residents of Bermuda.

73's
    KC3CFW

8. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

The post you responded to was truly bizarre. But you make an excellent point. Looking at the photos at the link provided by KI4YHX emphasizes that no comms net is in the business of salvage and disaster relief, or directly involved in SAR.

9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did the net handle any traffic? Emergency or otherwise?

Not trolling (although I know some will take it that way). I was just curious.

10. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

MMSN and HWN certainly must keep logs? Whether the logs are published on their websites in some form I don't know.

11. KC7RUN

Yes Sir. The Maritime Mobile Service Net handled traffic for Maritime Mobiles/WX. The Hurricane Watch Net handled a great deal of traffic for the National Hurricane Center in Miami, FL.

12. KC7RUN

Yes Sir! Both Nets have taken extensive steps in assuring accurate logs for Net Control Stations. However, they are not made available to the public. They are for U.S. Coast Guard use, if needed.

13. KC7RUN

Thank you Sir! It's an honor to serve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.