ad: portazero-1

SK - Wayne Green W2NSD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1VTY, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K1VTY

K1VTY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how many of you knew Wayne Green, W2NSD over the years. Those of you that knew him probably remember him from the 73 magazine days.

He was a well respected member of the ham community over the years. I can remember a number of trips made to Peterborough, New Hampshire on the weekends to meet him and several other hams from the area. The topic would start out on what ever we called the meeting for and could end up talking about almost anything. That big old house on the side of the main highway coming into town from the east was a huge place.

Wayne had a memory that would put an elephant to shame. He could recall the exact date and probably the time that he had a conversation or contact on the ham radio with you if asked.

Those of you that only knew of him through the many magazines that he published over the years knew that he tried to keep his comments to the facts and not take sides. The 73 magazine survived a good number of years until the country had a down turn and things started to get tight.

My memories of Wayne also included another person from the past. That was Sam Harris, W1FZJ and some knew him from the club call of W1BU. Wayne and Sam helped make the ham radio community what it is today. I don't think we would have the privileges today from the FCC if it wasn't for some of the hard work of both of these people. But Sam Harris is a whole second story for another time.

My memories will be with you Wayne.

Further info can be found here: http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/news.html

Jim, K1VTY

2. WB2JKJ

WB2JKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wayne was a visionary, possibly the world's most interesting man. More important a personal friend of almost 50 years. Please read our Special Edition Week 37 APPLE SLICES dedicated to Never Say Die on our website: http://www.wb2jkj.org

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1968, at age 13, I wrote a series of articles that I hoped to get into 73. They were interesting travel pieces-- well written for a 13 year old-- on dx spots. Jim Fisk turned them down. Ah yes! The world of publishing!

Later,I visited Wayne with some ham buddies. Needless to say Wayne welcomed us right in the door and was very friendly and supportive. I mentioned the declined articles and he was genuinely shocked. He hadn't known. He asked me to submit again, and I said I wanted to write a DX column instead. Which I did, in 1970. My first column.

In 1998 I was asked to be editor ( actually Joyce Sawtelle really ran the show--nice lady!) of 73. This time I had to decline, because Wayne was letting cold fusion into the mag--pesudoscience and certainly not ham related. I chose not to be associated with that.

Still I have fond memories of Wayne, despite the support of below-fringe stuff that showed up--free energy for example. The scientology stuff also didn't go down well with me, but your opinion may and probably does differ.

There was a caustic book on Wayne called 'See Wayne Run', which published court(?) depositions (from Wayne) that referred to things like Wayne's private parts and the insecurity it caused him--one of many examples. Another was how he ran a Vice Presidential campaign from a Denny's. I thought that sort of public airing was inappropriate, no matter if it was legal or not to publish it.So Wayne sure had his share of enemies.

I'd question the enemies rather than Wayne. No reason to diss anyone like that.

RIP OM
    Chip W1YW

4. AC8JF

AC8JF Ham Member QRZ Page

I never met Wayne Green, only saw him once at a Dayton Hamvention in the '70s, but his magazine was a big part of a young ham's enthusiasm for the hobby.

If memory serves, he was the RTTY columnist for CQ, then its editor. When he founded 73 Magazine, it was a breath of fresh air in the hobby. This was back when you could easily find the magazine at a well-stocked drug store, and afford it on a teenager's allowance. 73 back then was always pushing for amateurs to try something new, often in the cheapest way possible. Wayne had a burr under his saddle about the ARRL's conservatism, its dedication to the status quo, when clearly he believed hams should be pushing at the boundaries of the technology and the hobby. He had a point back then.

And oh, how he loved the sound of his own voice! Wayne's editorials went on and on and on, and were the first thing I read every month.

Wayne went on to practically invent the hobby microcomputer magazine genre. When he sold everything to IDG, he lost control of 73. Even after he bought it back a while later, it was never quite the same for me. The magazine and the man had quite a run, though.

Here's his hometown obituary: http://www.ledgertranscript.com/artsliving/8535625-95/wayne-green-magazine-pioneer-dies-at-91

Love him or hate him, or maybe both, he will be missed.

Wes Plouff AC8JF

5. WB8ELK

WB8ELK Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked with Wayne from 1990-1992 as Managing Editor of 73. It was an honor to finally get to work with someone who had inspired me in my early experiences with ham radio. It was an amazing time and I always enjoyed listening to Wayne's many stories, rants and alternative theories on many varied topics about life and amateur radio. He certainly was well-known in the ham community and also the small local community where 73 was located. One advertiser sent Wayne a letter with just Wayne's photo and the words: Peterborough, NH. No name or street address. Wayne was so thrilled that the Post Office delivered the letter to him that he had it framed on his office doors for years (along with a big sign that said "What part of NO don't you understand"). It was a wild ride and I made quite a few life-long friends with amateur radio operators from around the World during my stay at 73 Amateur Radio Today as well as Radio Fun. God Speed Wayne and I know that wherever you are now on the other side that your motto is still "Never Say Die".

Bill Brown WB8ELK

6. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... Wayne was a visionary, possibly the world's most interesting man ...

Wayne was a cruel, inhumane hoaxster, preying upon the ill while promoting with glee a blood
    "purifying" device that he claimed was a cure for AIDS, as well as a " ... possible cure for cancer,
    herpes, lupus, obesity, male-pattern baldness, and almost any microbe, virus, fungus, yeast
    infection or parasite present in the blood or lymph glands."

Despite others' written words here, this was no saint.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
    909-241-7666

7. K9AUB

K9AUB Ham Member QRZ Page

So sorry to hear of this! I first met Wayne in 1959, in Springfield, Illinois. We went to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant, and had a terrific conversation where he was telling me some of his battles while at CQ Magazine, and how he had a concept for a new magazine, which later turned out to be 73. He was a visionary, and charming. We were having a grand conversation for several hours... and then, suddenly, he bit down on a piece of bread and cracked a tooth! I took him to my dentist, who did some temporary repairs until he could get back home to see his regular dentist. About 10 years later, I cracked a tooth while munching on a vegetable in a bowl of soup, and instantly remembered Wayne. I sent him a message and told him there was something jinxed about the two of us; either we didn't know how to chew, or maybe we were just trying to keep the dentists well paid. He could laugh about his experience by then, but we had a running joke about that for many years. Every time I would bump into him here or there, I would tell him to stay away from the bread, and he would grin and tell me to watch out for the soup. I did get a few articles published in 73 as well. I have very pleasant memories of Wayne. RIP, old friend. You will be remembered for a long, long time.

8. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my start in ham radio partially because a friend had given me a huge stack of Wayne's - 73 magazines that I read cover to cover and to this day I can remember the great covers Wayne had on his magazine. I also began reading Byte magazine which was one of the very first magazines dedicated to personal computers and it lead me to my second hobby of computers. One day I heard Wayne and a friend chatting and I had the chance to log W2 (N)ever (S)ay (D)ie. It is one of my most memorable contacts from many years ago. We have indeed lost an icon that I wish more people would have had the chance to get to know.

9. WA1MZL

WA1MZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wayne was a GREAT GUY! I remember at the first FM Symposium. That's when I REALLY got involved with Ham Radio! Always a Gent and no matter if you disagreed with him,he always Listened to your side. RIP Wayne!

10. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What?!? That SUCKS! The man was intelligent, entertaining, and a little quirky, (well, maybe a lot, but that's ok!)
    He'll be missed. Always enjoyed his "editorials"

73, RIP

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you provide any evidence that he "preyed upon the ill"? Obviously the described device sounds like quakery--but accusing a man of "preying upon the ill" is an extraordinary allegation. Do you have any evidence of complaints by those that bought and used the device? Did anyone buy and use the device?

Wayne's romance with fringe science and pseudoscience didn't go down well with me either. But I see no evidence that he either hurt or had intent to hurt anyone. Perhaps you can fill us in with some evidentiary facts?

Chip W1YW

12. W7DXX

W7DXX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of knowing him for several years. I was his advertising manager and then managing editor in the early 70s.
    Honestly, Wayne was one of the most intelligent people I've ever known, and a bit crazy at times. One of my fondest memories was he and I flying to Dayton in my small aircraft. He asked to fly it. First time I had been inverted in a Cherokee 140.
    History will be kind and appreciative of Wayne Green, W2NSD

Respectfully, to all who were influenced by him,

Keith E. Lamonica, W7DXX

13. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... Can you provide any evidence that he "preyed upon the ill" ...

By his mere promotion of the device, he took advantage of those needing true medical assistance.

Yes, Wayne Green did some marvelous things in his life. But does that mean we simply dismiss his
    "We never landed on the moon" nonsense, and his "I can cure AIDS and male pattern baldness with
    this simple device" claims?

A life's "legacy" - to me - is an all-inclusive concept. And there are many in the amateur radio community who
    promote and contribute and do not "go crazy at times." It is their legacies I will honor and respect.

And - contrary to some folks' writings - we still would have cell phones and personal computers if Wayne was not
    involved in those industries.

Sorry to be the vocal contrarian. I am surely in the minority on this one. Doesn't change any facts - it just means
    I'm in the minority ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS

14. W1WAV

W1WAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember back in the 70s when passing your Amateur Extra was a difficult task for most of us. Wayne's Extra Class Manuel with his inscription-"Why go back twice"-motivated me to make my dream come true. Indeed, my dream became reality. Thank you Wayne for telling the truth about FCC Exams-ARRL and the High Tech World we live in today. We'll be together again.
    Darren W1WAV

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  15. WA4UNS

WA4UNS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the great opportunity to meet and talk with the greatest curmudgeon of ham radio... and I mean that lovingly. I would devour his magazine when I received it in the mail. As everyone else has said... he WILL be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.