ad: Retevis-1

Wow, the WIA Centenary callsign is red hot

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, the WIA Centenary callsign is red hot

The special callsign VK100WIA for the Centenary of Organised Amateur Radio in Australia and the foundation of the WIA, logged its first 1,000 contacts by Wednesday 19 May.

The callsign was launched by the WIA President Michael Owen VK3KI, next to operate was WIA Director Bob Bristow VK6POP and then WIA Centenary Committee member Jim Linton VK3PC.

The WIA had invited Amateur Radio Victoria to operate the callsign on its behalf last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

A roster of four of its members, Keith Proctor VK3FT, Terry Murphy VK3UP, David McAuley VK3EW and Noel Ferguson VK3FI, did their best to keep up with the on air demand for contacts.

Another measure of worldwide interest in this special callsign is the 2,500 hits received for its listing on the qrz.com callsign database. There not only is the callsign purpose explained, but also details of the limited edition WIA Centenary Award can be found.

VK100WIA will be active from Australia?s national capital, Canberra, during the WIA Centenary Convention 28 to 30 May. In June the WIA affiliated club's roster begins and runs until the end of October, with each club having a three-day operating slot.

(WIA Centenary Committee)

Get Southgate Amateur Radio News by Email

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

2. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

call signs

I confess, I cannot feel parts of my body firming up when I hear about special call signs; and have to wonder why some hams get so nutty about them. I suppose it is why we are sometimes referred to as the "embarrassing hobby". Wetting one's pants over a call sign is surely a cause to investigate therapy. In the meantime, please don't refer to such in public; some people know that I have a ticket.

3. ZL4IG

ZL4IG Ham Member QRZ Page

Chasing all signs and trout fishing are much the same...

Let's face it... ham radio is pretty pointless: why go to all the bother when a cellphone works better? But the joy of ham radio arises precisely from its pointlessness, just like trout fishing. Trout fishing, like ham radio, relies on luck, operating conditions, weather, skill, equipment, ability and patience. The difference is that with ham radio, no-one gets hurt and- in ZL at least- the licence is free.

I worked VK100WIA the other night, if for no other reason than to send VKs a fraternal message saying, "Well done!". I'll no doubt get a QSL card, which I will appreciate, too. What's the point of that?.... I can't think of one, but it feels good all the same. :)

73 de Robin ZL4IG

p.s. The title should read "...call signs..." not "...all signs...", but having made the mistake, I find I can't fix it.

4. VK4SUX

VK4SUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Free???

Have I read that wrong? Ham Licences are free in ZL?.....That explains the high price here :p

But back on track on here

Amateur Radio is what you make of it, some like contesting, some like SES each to their own at the end of the day.

Here's a short vid of David VK3EW in action with the VK100WIA recorded on Monday evening local time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-hR0c3G33U

Wish I had caught this a few mins earlier as he pinned the S-Meter at +60db!

Cheers!

--

Derek VK4FREQ

5. N6QBJ

N6QBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

VK3EW

I was fortunate to meet VK3EW several years ago when he made a trip to Southern California. I had lost contact with him until now and I hope to work him on the air soon as part of WIA.
    de Jerry, N6QBJ

6. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the first time in my 31 years as a ham operator that I've heard Amateur Radio referred to as the "embarrassing hobby." I have heard of embarrassments to the hobby - like the curmudgeons who post negative comments on this and other forums in response to noncontroversial news items - like special events.

K5CO, turn your license into the FCC for cancellation and sell your gear. We wouldn't want you to be embarrassed.

WIA - good luck with the VK100WIA special event.

Brad K4RT

7. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

"embarrassing hobby" ??!!??!!?? Indeed!!!!!!!!

"Spot on" Brad ..

At 1st I thought K5CO might be attempting humor, however it must be so subtle that he doesn't even "get it"
    :p ..................... This HOBBY has something for everyone, even crusty old grumps...enjoy what you like and ignore the disillusioned grouchy OM's, finding fault with any/everything!!!! (they're in all Hobbies & all facets of Life).

PS: I'm a NO code Extra & I can't fix radios that "glow in the dark" either....... wonder what wrath I'll face because I got in the hobby late!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

"Good On Ya"
    VK100WIA

73 all..... Enjoy...
    :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  8. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

Sorry about the bold above :confused: didn't do that on purpose...hmmm gotta love it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.