ad: CQMM-1

Bill Gordon - Arecibo Designer SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AJ4MJ, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ4MJ

AJ4MJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly a ham story, but Arecibo is definitely one of the more incredible radio installations in the world. I had the pleasure of a QSO with he ham station there recently.

ALBANY, N.Y. – Bill Gordon, the designer and manager of the famous Arecibo (ehr-uh-SEE'-boh) Observatory in Puerto Rico, has died in New York state at age 92.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100218/ap_on_sc/us_obit_bill_gordon

2. KC0BIN

KC0BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP

Radio astronomy has shown us yet another awesome face of the Universe, yet it was ignored for decades..........

3. KM2KM

KM2KM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill Gordon Arecibo Designer a very nice fellow

This is sad news and here I am living in Ithaca and I did not realize it. When my wife and I were living at the Aecibo Observatory Gordon and his wife came down for a meeting and celebrations. They lived in the next cabin and we had a great time visiting with them.

His passing is the passing of an era for sure. The long term engineer (José Maldonado) who "kept the platform in the air" retired a few years ago. Now it is up to the younger generation to keep it going. Its technology from super cooled receivers to lightening "arrestors" all require dedicated men and women - riggers, painters, electronic design, round the clock computer systems and also men and women who are humble guards, plus men who keep the grounds neat. It is a beautiful place and human resources administrators all do their job. About 150 people strong.

It took gumption to design and it takes gumption to walk that platform 450 feet above the reflector to check the cables and paint the nuts and bolts.

Thank you Bill for the design, mil gracias colegas por mantenerlo.

Kris (KA2OIG)

4. N7UR

N7UR Ham Member QRZ Page

Arecibo Observatory is an active QTH!

I just returned from another visit to the Observatory. I believe that it is safe to say that the AO is the biggest 70cm antenna in the world! It is also home to KP4AO the Arecibo Observatory Radio Club. The guys there tell me that another 70 cm amateur radio E.M.E. activity is in the works for April.

Also if you are in PR when KP4AO operates their special event each year, you can operate the station and receive a very nice looking certificate for doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.