ad: elecraft

HamBrief 30 - Tweeting from a Ham Radio!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7ICE, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7ICE

N7ICE Ham Member QRZ Page

This week's HamBrief.TV demonstrates how to send a Twitter message via APRS using your ham radio! Catch the video online at 73s.org!

73s,
    Chris Matthieu
    http://73s.org/n7ice

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

twits

this is yet again a way to confirm suspicions that Ham Radio is an Embarrassing hobby. If you do twit, tweet or twitter from your radio, please keep it to yourself. In short, stay in the closet. For that matter, if you twit or twitter with other than Ham radio or have a use for such things via computers and other conventional methods, we would be better served if we don't hear about it. Thank You.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. K4LFP

K4LFP Ham Member QRZ Page

What the hell is twitter, tweeting or twit?

5. N3AIU

N3AIU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OFs

Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

6. K7TUX

K7TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHA

Priceless.. Honestly, Im a computer geek and never figured out what the appeal of tweeting is. Though, I have to admire the person who figured it out. I think that even if only one person tweets with their radio, that it is awesome that they figured out another means of communication with a HAM radio :D

7. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a twit was a silly woman, or something like that. Or perhaps worse. I would not want to be known as a twit, male or female. I would guess that a twit twits. And a tweeter used to be the high range speaker in a set of hi fidelity speakers. So it tweets the high tones in music. I have, though, heard many tweets in the trees in my yard, and my cats are thrilled at those tweets, despite the fact they are too lazy to chase the tweeters down and eat them.

If there is some other sort of tweeter I am not into it. Never heard of it in ham (not HAM) radio. Maybe that's the difference between ham radio and HAM radio. One tweets? Or twits? The other does not?

I long for the days when ham (not HAM) radio was just "fone" and CW. And a wee dab of RTTY with its clanks and clunks.

I sure do NOT look forward to the days when "HAM" radio is just another ISP.

Ed

8. AK7EE

AK7EE Ham Member QRZ Page

You're showing your age. ;)

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Says it all.

10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's basically about living in public. The internet has made it possible for those with the desire to live in public to actually do so.

Remember Jennicam?

11. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for the ego of people who can't get a life, huh? Like writing on public rest room walls. Except it has degenerated from writing to pictures, since writing is a too complicated for their area of expertise.

ed

12. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Every time I hear it described, it sounds like only a twit would tweet. Hence, the name I suppose. Another more accurate name would be "American Idle."

13. K4RJJ

K4RJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one applaud these guys for making this possible. This expands the APRS network reach. Another tool in the box.

If you don't like this please stay on whatever "channel" you hang out on.

14. K7DAA

K7DAA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

English Twit Competition

Monty Python had a great series of skits about a competition for best English Twit. A twit is a person with odd habits, mannerisms, notions or hobbies--even by English standards.

Hey that's us!!

Dave - K7DAA
    http://www.k7daa.com

Python Upperclass English Twit Race Sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyr1ugzxXM

15. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Twitter is not much different from email or text messaging. You simply sign up and start to tweet like an idiot and people just start to follow you over the internet to see what you are doing. To us OT's, being a twit is a bad thing, to people like N7ICE, it is a badge of honor and great fun.

However, Twitter is the latest example of the self-indulgent 24/7 exhibitionism that has been honed to a fine art by Facebook and other social-gathering networks. Its like a physco-graphic version of strip poker. Using twitter for literate communications is about as likely as firing up a CB radio and hearing some guy recite the Iliad. Tying it in to ham radio is a shame. More and more of RF communications are going over to the I-net to the detriment of all hams.

N7ICE is a real geek about this stuff and has his own virtual TV show. He's got loads of how to videos on youtube. He is in love with Twitter. Maybe N7ICE needs attention but I don't social network anywhere except with the wife and close friends and it is face to face; as long as this crap stays on 144.390, I don't care to either.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.