ad: cq2k-1

Blackmail on CQ WW Contest Comittee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4L5A, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

BLACKMAIL ON CQ WW CONTEST COMITTEE

Some hams are labling the operation of HK3RA by Russian amateur Dimirti Kryukov RA3CO
    as a hijacking, or the unauthorized use of a callsign not assigned to the operator. In his defense, Dimitri
    claims that he was lent the callsign by its actual owner, Wolfgang Torres, who is reportedly not
    a contester. Regardless, Colombian law does not permit amateurs to lend their callsign to another person.

A group of Colombian hams, led by Juan Camilo Rodriguez, HK3CQ, have filed a formal complaint
    to CQ WW CC .

Further complicating the matter are the actions of another Colombian station, HK1AR, a.k.a. Tony
    Rogozinski (W4OI), who permitted Kryukov and others to rent his QTH and operate his station in
    the 2007 CQ WW Contest. Also named in the complaint is Girts Budis, YL2KL as an HK1AR callsign "user".

The bottom line is that a group of Colombian operators are asking that the prohibition against
    "callsign lending" be strictly enforced in their country and that RA3CO and YL2KL be prohibited from
    conducting further operations in Colombia and to be DQed .

For more details see these links:

http://contesting.at-communication.com/en/lu1dz_wwsa_hk3cq_ra3co_yl2kl_k3est_hk3ra/

2. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

hijack

Hijacking?? It's just the Russian way of doing things.

3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Someone rented another ham's station? I can think of a few stations that are "rented" each CQ contest. This is a problem why?? :confused:

4. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

Because Colombian law as cited in Chapter VII, Article 76, Section 9 of the rules that regulate amateur radio activities in that country, states "The use of one's callsign by any other person is prohibited". Contest rules also state that all operations be conducted in compliance with rules and laws.

When operating in Colombia or other countries with similar rules, you can rent the equipment, but it's up to the operator to have a valid license and in Colombia using someone else's license isn't allowed.

Walt, W5ALT

5. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

wow

Big deal :eek: Sounds like another bunch of 7 year olds crying to mommy.

6. AD7UZ

AD7UZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the station owner's callsign was used during the contest by the renter. The "renter" didn't have a valid callsign.

7. AI6DX

AI6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

You have waaaaaay too much time on your hands. Citing "Columbian" amateur laws?

Now, I've seen everything.:eek::eek::eek:

8. N4ABA

N4ABA Ham Member QRZ Page

And the problem with following the laws of a particular country is....what? One could twist your comment to indicate that someone who visits the US can ignore US regulations. I know that is not what you mean....but what makes Colombian law any less "legal" in their country than US law here? Opening THAT door will get you in deep kimchee.....as they were in Colombia, the local law prevails. As the amateur radio community is international, we do well to respect the laws which impact our hobby. How would you feel if someone came to the US and borrowed your call? Not happy, I would feel certain. The fact that it was "lent" is still in violation of their law...and, IIRC, it would also be illegal here unless the callholder was the control op of the site and on site.

Not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV. Just my personal view on the matter.

73 de N4ABA

9. N4CD

N4CD Ham Member QRZ Page

laws

"The bottom line is that a group of Colombian operators are asking that the prohibition against
    "callsign lending" be strictly enforced in their country and that RA3CO and YL2KL be prohibited from
    conducting further operations in Colombia "

no different than if someone from outside the US, who did not have valid reciprocal priveleges here, borrowed your station/call and used it for a contest.

Heck, what's a stinkin' license?

Only absolutely necessary to have a valid contest entry.

You don't think checking laws is important? So what if the guy is in EU, and borrows a US call and operates from there and wins.....what laws.....why should anyone complain....ha ha.....

The folks in Columbia have a right to point out their laws require an operator have a valid permission to operate in their country, and must use their own assigned call.

A Russian cannot borrow your call. He can borrow your station - or operate multi-op IF he has a valid permission to operate in the USA. But not otherwise.

Columbian law apparently is different...no multi-op stations using personal call signs.....dunno about club stations if they have them.

10. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. The law is the law.

When in the USA, people are required to follow USA laws.

When in Colombia, people are required to follow Columbia's laws.

It's so simple it is not worth worrying about. If they operated illegally, in particular without a license to operate, they should be disqualified.

11. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I read through the link above, and I assume they accurately quoted the regulation.

It seems to me that it's probably subject to interpretation. What do they mean "used" by a third person? Here, the callsign was assigned to a Colombian ham for the station in his home, and he allowed the Russian to operate. As someone else pointed out, if the word "used" is interpreted as this group did, this means that any kind of multi-op station is also illegal.

It looks like the contest committee asked the people making the complaint to get an opinion from the Colombian authorities clarifying this, and they failed to do so. It seems to me quite likely that they failed to do so because the Colombian authorities don't see it as a violation.

This doesn't appear to be a case of a guy showing up on Colombian soil and borrowing a callsign for his own personal use, which the term "hijacking" seems to imply.

In other words, it sure sounds like there are two sides to this particular story.

12. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nobody is against law but when HK3CQ is quired for 3 years and after that start complain about previouse operations I start think why?
    When I see that HK3CQ trying to rent his station with no mention about local law WHY?
    When he is travelling in South America and asking for support and find guy in Argentina who is speculating using name of George LU8DQ WHY?
    Local hams in HK need to be aware of the law right?
    You know when I find that on qrz.com:
    PLEASE NO BUREAU. ONLY DIRECT QSL VIA QRZ.COM Since january 2003 postal service in Colombia increased 100%. Most of the QSL's for my Jet Box adress in Miami will be returned from Colombia: Please no USA or Colombian stamps. Due to exchange rate the mailing cost it's about US$3.
    You can check your self on HK3CQ profile
    Then I think many things becoming much more clearer
    If I will come to US and will ask local friend if I can use his call sign and he will say yes then its ok for me and I think also for you if you visit another country
    In this sitaution I think HK3CQ is just trying to get more people to rent his station instead of HK1AR station and thats it its dont have any kind of the connection with law only with his personnal interest and LU1DZ is just trying to satisfy his EGO
    73 Al 4L5A

13. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Walt currently lives in and operates from Venezuela, and frequently travels to Colombia. Knowing those laws is part of the time on his hands. He knows that information better than anyone else here.

14. WB0MNW

WB0MNW Ham Member QRZ Page

"There's not too much you can't fix, with $200.00 and a .30-06" -Col. Jeff Cooper

Who's Col. Jeff Cooper?

:confused:

15. N4ABA

N4ABA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bren 10 designer, and one of the folks that contributed much to personal defense weapon development and use. He certainly didn't come up with the "Hollywood side shooter" (common in movies...holding a firearm "sideways" instead of upright...dumb!) but developed and taught points that anyone that owns a firearm should know. A decent read is located at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel)

73 de N4ABA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.