ad: M2Ant-1

Mt Athos request

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3GNO, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE3GNO

VE3GNO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received an alert from Mt Athos. Monk Apollo: Here is the email:
    Mount ATHOS

---------------------
    From Monk Apollo :

I would like to ask for your help in a problem that I confront. Recently, in the new regulations made by the Greek Ministry of Communications gave the SY prefix to Special call to anyone who wants it. Sadly the men at the Ministry do not understand the importance of the DXCC – Entity Mount Athos to the World of Amateur Radio.

Monk Apollo invites you to send an email to the Ministry yme@otenet.gr and ask them to reserve the prefix SY solely for the use of Mount Athos to eliminate any confusion of the DXCC Entity Mount Athos.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, from Mount Athos, the “Garden of Virgin Mary” I send you my best wishes.

God Bless you – Monk Apollo, SV2ASP
    ---------------

2. VA3AEQ

VA3AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Message Sent

I just sent my message to the Greek Ministry of Communication. Hopefully we can eliminate this opportunity for confusion for DXCC awards.

3. K5RKS

K5RKS Ham Member QRZ Page

According to my ARRL DX map Mt. Athos callsigns are listed as SV/A.

I have never worked Mt. Athos so I don't know what call signs have been used from there.

Neither the ARRL Map of the World or the RSGB Prefix Guide -- 8th Edition lists SY as being unique to Mt. Athos. Is the assignment of SY to only be a Mt. Athos call a new idea? If so when did it take effect?

73 Roger

4. PR7CPK

PR7CPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Mount Athos

I has worked Mount Athos and have very difficult to receive the QSL card. My first card was mailed via direct with SAE and IRC. The second card was mailed via direct with SAE and green stamps. The third card was mailed via the bureau and never received the confirmation. I received only after many months later with the help and interference of one brazilian friend. I sorry because Mount Athos have only one amateur station on the air.

Edmilson Rodrigues do Ó, PR7CPK

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The first Mt Athos qso I made was many years ago around the time it received accreditation as a new DXCC "country" and the op was an SV/A. It did not serve as a cause for confusion then (when new) so it certainly should not do so now. It is one of a number of "countries" with a shared prefix.

6. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps if Monk Apollo would get on the air more than Scarborough Reef does he would get more consideration when trying to rally the ham radio community to support him in a matter such as this.
    Perhaps the Greek Ministry of Communications looks at it in a similar way.
    Two concepts come to mind,
    one hand washes the other
    and, use it or lose it.

7. K1XV

K1XV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One should not forget that Monk Apollo is not a DXpedition. He is a monk, living a monastic life style. He operates when he can. I worked him once, and was able to get a very nice QSL card. Indeed, one hand truly does wash the other.

8. NI3I

NI3I Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Monk Apollo several times and received a QSL card (Once) in about 4 to 5 weeks. I heard him calling CQ the 2nd time I worked him in 1997 and he took a few minutes to ragchew with me. One thing I know is that poor operating practice and unruly pileups will chase him away in no time flat. Be patient and remember to exercise good operating ethics. His beautiful color QSL card is 100%

9. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Quit being the problem and help!

Come on! It's an E-Mail and 2 to 3 minutes of your life. We are SUPPOSED to be a COMMUNITY! Helping each other on and off the bands. If you can't do that, go somewhere where loners are welcomed. Take up video gaming or something you do not need the assistance or interaction with others.

Happy Holidays to all the reasonable people out there and to the rest - stop thinking what's in this for you on EVERYTHING!

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most of us would be happy to assist if we believed it served some useful purpose. Similarly, many folks tend to not want to lend their name or reputation to something they consider dubious. If you think this is of some value, it might help convince the rest of us if you were to explain how rather than insult us.

11. K1XV

K1XV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Monk Apollo is among the best known operators for those with interest in the DXCC program. If you want to work Mount Athos, he is pretty much the only game in town. As others have stated, he is a good QSLer, and has been around on the bands for years. He operates when he can.

His request as stated above would provide him with no financial reward or other personal benefit. If you find his reputation dubious, or fear that responding to his request will in some way impugn your own reputation, then don't do it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  12. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My old German logging software shows that Mt Athos is either SY1MA or SY2A. It considers any other SY (or J4, SV, SW, SZ) to be Greece.

13. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

K1VSK

If you feel insulted, I must ask - Why?

For what it's worth - the value is in helping someone achieve a goal. A goal important to that person. It's called compassion, sympathy and understanding. It's also known as humanity. In todays world, these qualities are missing from all too many.

Still feel insulted? I again ask you why?

14. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

This is very old news, this OPDX bulletin from 2002 contained the same thing, back then it was probably an actual problem: http://www.papays.com/opdx547.html

A look at my log shows a number of QSOs with SY-callsigns which were special / contest calls, not from SV/A. With computer logging being the standard today, I don't see how this can be a problem anymore. And I don't see why a whole callsign block should be reserved to a single guy who has his de-facto private DXCC.

15. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Somehow I don't think a big bunch of hams e-mails from all over the place is going to make a Greek government agency bow to it's pressure. He would be wiser to appeal to the hams that fall within their jurisdiction and how it might effect them. Sounds like all is lost and this is his last act of desperation.
    An e-mail is a lame way to make a statement anyway. Too easy. I can see it now,
    that's nice, click, delete.
    that's nice, click, delete...
    And just because someone has an agenda doesn't mean someone else has to support it.
    Kinda like supporting those of my mother in law..NOT!

Nice try but two people saying he is and one saying he wasn't doesn't lend itself to any statistical significance one way or the other. In all likelihood he is probably as good as most in that department.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.