ad: Radclub22-1

Sporadic E season starting

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Sporadic E season starting

The start of the Sporadic E (Es) season means enhanced progagation on the 28, 50, 70 and 144 MHz bands.

KA5DWI has just made available an article on "Es" season predictions.

Art Jackson KA5DWI has been collecting Sporadic E for the last 3 years analysing over 42000 items of data.

He has now made available a PDF document, Spring/Summer “Es” Season Predictions, summarising his findings.

It can be downloaded from: http://www.swotrc.net/ProbabilityEs.pdf

PropNET is a PSK31 based ad-hoc 2-way communication network originating on RF and reported on the Internet. Participants periodically ID and exchange data, reporting their activity to an Internet data-collection hub. http://www.propnet.org/

PropNET Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PropNET-Online/

To subscribe Email
    PropNET-Online-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

Get our News Headlines for your Website:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/index.htm

Send Us Your News Items:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/your_news.htm

2. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ordered an 5 element beam for 6 meters to replace the 3 element beam

Hope we have an good season ;)

3. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Listening"......

Good Morning All, (It's 6:40 AM here)

I'm already ahead of y' all. I've got my hand-held scanner monitoring 29.450, 29.600, 51.500, 52.525, 146.52. 146.55, & 446.00 mhz. If there's an opening here in EM-32, I should hear it on the scanner, first. I'll be working in the yard today (what I can do). The Icom 706MkII-G is already warmed up, so it won't take long to be on frequency. :D

Sunny today with temps in the mid-80's, rising humidity and falling barometer, as a Mon thru Thurs. "rain" period sets in. Winds will be about 15 mph until Friday.

Naturally, since it's supposed to just rain, we may get some bad storms through here. In that case, I'll be on the 146.67(- offset) with the K5-SHV Skywarn group.

Have a GREAT DAY, All. Gud DX.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, Don.

Since your 706 is turned on and warmed up, you might park it on a 10M or 6M CW beacon frequency with the squelch on and the audio turned way up. Then, if one breaks the squelch (and drives your XYL nuts) you'll be yelled at to come in and silence it.

Much more dependable than relying on somebody to call CQ on an FM simplex channel with not much of a receiver/antenna and be heard over the roar of the lawn mower engine.

5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd scan several active and busy beacon freqs on the bands. :)

6. W9DP

W9DP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sporadic E is about all I have to look forward to on 6 meters. Come on warm weather!!

There has been a bunch on noise about a new mode from K1JT called WSPR. It is being used on HF as a propagation monitoring tool with great results. There have been a few looking to use it on 6 meters.

NG9R

7. 4X1UN

4X1UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Es in Europe 144Mhz

Hello Everyone,
    For hams whom are interested in information regarding Es in Europe on 144Mhz please refer to the following useful links:
    1. www.vhfdx.de - with links to Es robot and tropo prediction maps, articles, software etc.
    2. www.vhf-content.com - with uploaded Es logs of hams after each opening and map plots of openings.
    3. www.vhfdx.com - excellnet website on vhf propagation.

You may look me up for more info,
    shalom cohen 4x1un:)

8. AK4FK

AK4FK Ham Member QRZ Page

What would the 10M & 6M beacon freq's be?

Walter

9. KB9MQL

KB9MQL Guest

10. KB9MQL

KB9MQL Guest

11. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10 & 6 meter beacons

Goggle 10 meter or 6 meter beacons and have fun with all the info.

steve wendt:rolleyes:
    KB9RDS

12. N4EDX

N4EDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Brief openings already !

I am in South Carolina and have worked all of Central and most of South America in the last few weeks on 10 meters..:)

I did make the contact to Austrailia last Saturday afternoon, for better than 5 minutes and over 5/9+, 75 watts/vertical and was so nice to hear it on 10 !:D

as a result I have finished the final touches on my 10 meter DX special! :confused:
    An Imax 2000 with a homemade 6 leg ground plane system with stainless steel radials from 102" to 126" inches long ! NOW.. to get it up to the 120foot level where the antron 99 is.. at the top of a tree !!! :eek:

Come on big Band openings !!

13. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah ! The joy of sporadic E in these days of spot starved radio. It also helps if you have a 120 ft mast. You really must be living on blessed ground.

G0GQK

14. K7DWI

K7DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Expect Updates to the Charts

Many thanks to G4TUT for the post concerning my work.

I want to let everyone know that I will be updating these predictions every 4 weeks during the 16 week season. The charts are a small part of a much larger study that I have been working on. I hope to present or publish it in the future.
    Link:
    http://www.swotrc.net/ProbabilityEs.mht

All the credit for this goes to the PropNET organization: www.propnet.org The principals; Ev W2EV, Jeff N7YG, and Dave KF6XA .

The group uses 28.131 MHz USB PSK31 and software (PropNetPSK) for the collection and realtime map updating via LiveX. We always need participants. I am working on a 4th year of data.

CW Beacons are extemely beneficial to this hobby, but PropNet took it to a new level and provided a sound system to do statistical research.

We also operate on 50.291 MHz and need more participants there.

I think someone asked, in North America, listen for voice Es opportunities on 28.400, 50.125, 144.200 USB.

Those of you interested in 2-Meter Sideband work, please visit our website:
    www.swotrc.net The Sidewinders On Two Radio Club Homepage - SWOT.
    You will find educational links and sound bites to enjoying 2 Meter Weak Signal.

73's
    Art KA5DWI :)

15. N4INU

N4INU QRZ Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.