ad: cq2k-1

RTTY BBS on 28.090ste

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8NYY, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8NYY

N8NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All!

I'm beta testing a RTTY Bulletin Board System on 28.090 USB in which I've developed. It's functionality is currently limited but you should be able to connect, get a local WX report, get a rudimentary signal report, and see the last five connections.

Other functionality will be developed soon and as soon as I can work out the bugs I'm hoping to share this with others who would also like to set up a BBS using RTTY.

For those interested, the software is written almost entirely using BASH and utilizes a really cool piece of software minimodem (http://www.whence.com/minimodem/) for the FSK translation via sound card.

Anyway, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Feel free to connect and try it out.

Thanks!

James KF5YZJ

2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting! I'll have to give that a go!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

3. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoa, this sounds cool, you sound like my kind of tinkerer. Any justification for RTTY over, say, 300 baud packet? Not criticizing, just curious.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds cool....quirky but cool! I'd love to see the source code. :)

5. KL7AJ

Ahh..there it is....thanks!

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very cool.
    I have been wanting to get started in RTTY now I have an excuse to add it to my list of things do do.

7. KL7AJ

Plain Vanilla RTTY is still my default digital mode.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Turned the beam around and listened weak signal heard on .090 but nothing now. What exactly is required to activate the BB?

9. KB3X

KB3X Guest

I alway thought that would be a neat idea, but using PSK31. How does one tell it to answer?

10. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Very light here in AZ but i will make myself a note and keep trying...pretty kewl!

11. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

cool

COOL, i always love tinkering with packet and BBS.. This will be cool. Keep it up.

12. N8NYY

Well, TBH I had some experience with a piece of software called minimodem which made it super easy to pipe info in/out using the RTTY protocol. But yes, I wanted to stay away from packet because so many people already have stations set up to run RTTY, PSK, etc. and most people's experience with packet is limited to APRS.

13. N8NYY

Soon, but you probably wouldn't. I'm by no means an expert coder but am somehow able to get things to work most of the time hi hi... Hopefully someone can make it a little slicker after the initial release.

14. N8NYY

Just connect to KF5YZJ as you would answer a CQ. KF5YZJ DE YOURCALL

15. N8NYY

Same here, that was my initial idea. Fldigi certainly has the capabilities but I was unable to get it to work properly... Thats for a later release :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.