ad: MLSons-1

CNSP21 (K6RPT-12) amateur radio balloon launched from San Jose, CA flys into Russia

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6MFW, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

California Near Space Project launched a custom super pressure balloon CNSP21, call sign K6RPT-12 on January 24. The flight achieved a successful float at 37,000 feet, traveled across the US, lost contact as it traveled over Atlantic Ocean, re-established contact off coast of Portugal on Jan 29. Then later traveled across Morroco, then lost contact (electronics are solar powered) and contact was re-established over Turkey. Flight path continued over Sochi, Russia.

Follow CNSP21 K6RPT-12 at http://aprs.fi/#!call=a/K6RPT-12&timerange=604800&tail=604800

Super pressure balloon description, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpressure_balloon

California Near Space Project, http://www.cnsp-inc.com

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is there no frequency stated in these balloon flights?

K2WH

3. K6MFW

It uses typical APRS freq of 144.390 MHz, I guess they assume everyone would know that. I wasn't specifically involved with this flight. Obviously those outside North America will need to set their receivers. On previous CNSP long range flights, hams in Europe will set their receivers to the N/A freq as they get news of balloon heading their way.

4. K6RPT

K6RPT Ham Member QRZ Page

The APRS Tracker will change to the country's frequency automatically, there is no need to have anyone change to 144.390.

-Ron K6RPT

5. K6MFW

It's over Japan (about 3 pm pacific time, 2-4-15)

6. K9LJB

K9LJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like it may come home... This is an amazing flight. Congratulations to the team behind this.

73 K9LJB

7. KO6YQ

KO6YQ Guest

Now that it got this far, it indeed looks like it can cross the Pacific to complete the trip around the world. It can be considered a circumnavigation of the globe when it crosses the longitude of the launch site at -121.8 degrees. We're posting status on Twitter at @K6RPT (California Near Space Project) and @Stratofox_Team (Stratofox Aerospace Tracking Team).

- Ian KO6YQ

8. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been really neat to follow these balloon flights during the last year. Keep up the great work guys!

9. K6MKF

K6MKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great flight! I was fortunate enough to be at a K6PRT launch, and it was cool to watch!

Keep up the great work!!

10. EX7MK

EX7MK Ham Member QRZ Page

what happen if plane meet balloon or balloon meet plane -catastrophe ????? de ex7mk

11. K6MFW

It re-appeared over coast of Washington!
    http://aprs.fi/#!call=a/K6RPT-12&timerange=604800&tail=604800
    data from first reception:
    2015-02-06 08:47:10 - 2015-02-06 08:47:25
    135 MPH 36° alt 34341 ft
    Telemetry 2015-02-06 09:39:09: show telemetry
    Batt: 4.192 V, Solar: 0.982 V, Temp: 0.200 C, Sats: 6, S2L: 15
    NFWA1@72\
    [APSTM1 via DRAIN,WIDE2*,qAR,WA6KHG]

12. K6MFW

oops, I meant Oregon.

I wonder how many others will be encouraged to do the same? I'm sure there are issues if such flights were to become much more frequent, become an issue like hobbyist drones, etc.?

13. KC4URI

KC4URI Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks to me like you guys made it around the world. Congrats,now how do you get it down.

14. VE2HS

VE2HS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope ham radio operators will not create any kind of friction with this country.

15. K6MFW

Ron Meadows says what is really cool to see are photos sent to him or posted on forums by hams (especially outside the US) showing APRS display on a handheld of K6RPT-12. So if his balloon flys overhead and your HT with APRS displays data, take a pic of it and post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.