ad: Flexradio-1

New UK Amateur Radio 146 MHz allocation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New UK Amateur Radio 146 MHz allocation

The RSGB VHF Manager John Regnault G4SWX gave a key presentation to the RSGB Convention on October 12 about the new amateur radio allocation at 146 MHz

John said the future use of this band is very much in our hands. If we merely use it for more-of-the-same (conventional modulation and uses) then future use will not be viewed very favourably.

He suggested we should use the band imaginatively, with digital modes and/or new services that would not sit easily within the existing band. Digital ATV with 500 kHz bandwidth, Digital Voice, Spread Spectrum, Data Services along with things not yet widely thought of are the type of activity that is desired.

Developers of wideband modes may face challenges in ensuring their emissions are contained within the new band. Some wideband modes currently used on 1240 MHz have sidebands just 30 dB down that extend over a wide range, this would not be acceptable on 146 MHz.

Bandwidth tailoring will be imperative to ensure no RF extends into the weak signal satellite segment at 145.8-146.0 MHz (the Lunar 4M JT65B beacon uses 145.980 MHz). Narrow band users on 147 MHz must also be protected from any increase in the noise floor.

John asked that those trying new things on the band should report the work they do even if the experiment is a failure. His contact email address is vhf.manager<at>rsgb.org.uk

It may even be that successful exploitation of the new band could lead to further release to amateurs of much needed VHF spectrum!

Download the 146 MHz PowerPoint Slides from
    http://tinyurl.com/146MHz-Allocation

The new allocation has both Geographical and ERP restrictions.
    The Ofcom statement on the allocation can be seen at
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bi...43-169mhz/statement/VHF_Release_statement.pdf

At the end of October Full licence holders will be able to obtain an NoV for 146 MHz operation from the RSGB online NoV page at
    http://rsgb.org/main/operating/licensing-novs-visitors/online-nov-application/</at>

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

2. G4PPB

G4PPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that Ofcom had made it perfectly clear that this allocation of 146 MHz was purely a temporary allocation until such time that it is sold for commercial use?
    73, Eddie

3. G8FYK

G8FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely correct! For up to 12 Months only! And only via an NOV for stated specific experimentation only! And only from 146Mhz to 147Mhz!

What amazes me is that here in Gtr Manchester word is going around that the 2M band is being extended by up to 2MHz permanently for all Amateurs, regardless of class and appropriate restrictions. Even that the current power limit restrictions will be lifted to 1KW, and that the upper end of the band for all will be 148MHz to do with as we wish - THIS IS ALL TOTALLY UNTRUE !! (I'm getting fed up with being shouted down whenever I try to correct/enlighten people on what this short term NOV allocation actually is!)

(There's nothing worse than "Chinese Whispers" - as they are traditionally known as here in the UK - the original facts get passed through so many people (and added to/deleted from along the way) that the end message being relayed bears absolutely no resemblance to the truth!)

The plus side is that anyone (within the stated restricted area of the UK) wishing to experiment with the advance of both existing and new data modes (which is what this NOV is targeted at!) will be able to do so within an isolated frequency band of their own, and without causing interference to other Amateur users of the 2M band (as is currently the case, especially in the more congested areas of the UK - i.e. there's only so much that can be fitted into the current All Mode segment of the band, and we're all now getting fed up of all those squeaks, squawks, and loud rushing noises which keep obliterating the SSB and FM sections.

Personally, I'd like to see this allocation eventually made permanent. Like it or not, Amateur Radio is slowly going Digital. And an isolated band area in which advanced learning and experimentation can take place in I think is absolutely ideal for the furtherance of Digital based (as opposed to analogue voice etc) Amateur Radio Communications.

Kevin.

[Amateur Radio - The learning and self discipline of ALL Radio Communications!]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.