ad: MyersEng-1

HamRadioNow: Yaesu's System (Con)Fusion demo & comparison

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    HAMRADIONOW.tv

Episode 161: Yaesu's System (con)Fusion

<big><big><small><small><small></small></small></small></big></big>
    Yaesu is in the middle of launching its System Fusion, er, system of analog and digital voice equipment for VHF/UHF. Two of the four main puzzle pieces are available now, the FTM-400DR mobile and FT1DR handheld, both capable of analog FM and C4FM digital voice. The DR-1 repeater has beta units across the country, and the WIRES-X Internet linking module is coming soon. The whole shebang is on the air now in Japan.

I reviewed the mobile and handheld for QST (in the September issue), and while I had the radios, I recorded playing with them (in good conscience I can't say I "ran some tests" - I just played with them). One of those beta repeaters was on the air in my area, and I got to see how it all worked (minus the WIRES linking). Then with the help of some DMR-enabled friends in Charlotte, I compared HTs running D-STAR, C4FM, P-25 and DMR/MotoTRBO. Finally, I rambled on for a good long time while staring into the camera.

I'll put the episode here, but think twice, find a comfortable chair, and grab a snack before you push 'play.' It runs over 90 minutes.

Here's Episode 161:

[video=youtube;C1ClH3R17m0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ClH3R17m0&list=UUxqXFK9ETC5CWEdDD-_HpqA[/video]​

Watch all our programs on our web page:
    HAMRADIONOW
    .tv

HamRadioNow is supported by viewer contributions
    If you enjoy the programs, visit www.HamRadioNow.tv and "click the pig"

[​IMG]

THANK YOU to all our contributors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.