ad: Schulman-1

Australia's VK3FI medium wave beacon heard in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Australia's VK3FI medium wave beacon heard in New Zealand

After reaching out across the Australian continent with about 60 signal reports, the CW beacon at 473 kHz has now been received in New Zealand.

Keith Hayes ZL4MD at Cromwell in deep central New Zealand advises he heard the beacon on March the 28th at 10.27pm local time.

At first it was picked up as visible on the weak-signal software Argo, then a callsign was heard by ear after putting several bits together.

Kevin ZL4MD, who describes himself as a rising 82-year old, used an Icom IC706MK2 feed with a three quarter wavelength sloping wire antenna.

Several other ZLs are listening intently with the best opportunity for reception expected to be during the winter. The report from ZL4MD will encourage them further.

The band 472-479 kHz is a secondary allocation in many countries and has the VK3FI beacon at Mildura in north-western Victoria to create interest and activity.

It is on most nights at 0900 UTC, an earlier time to make it easier for ZLs, and remains until 2200 UTC. Send reports by email to vk3fi<at>wia.org.au

Jim Linton VK3PC
    Wireless Institute of Australia</at>

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2014/april/vk3fi_beacon_heard_in_nz.htm

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Become a Facebook fan

2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a nice hop for what I presume is a fairly low power transmitter. But it is surprising how far signals can propagate across water. I well remember in 1973 using a transistor AM radio on Easter Island to hear traffic reports from a big station in Los Angeles. I'm sure many other readers have similar stories.

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have listened to NDB's for some time and recently logged a Canadian NDB in the 300 or 200 kHz band (I forget). The CW identifier was easily readable. I think the power level of this particular NDB was 25 watts. I think the allowable amateur power in the 473khz segment is only 1 watt ERP.

K2WH

4. IK2TGW

IK2TGW Ham Member QRZ Page

IK2TGW iktgw@yahoo.it

Hi Medium Wave for Australia and CW 475 KHz.

Tanks 73 by IK2TGW Stefano

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Like K2WH, about a year and a half ago on what sounded like a particularly quiet and good DX night, using an old IC-781 and a wire top hat loaded 50ft vertical for 160m, I decided to be a MWL (medium wave listener :) and logged the following listed below.

Mostly NDB's, but one amateur beacon and an exceptional broadcaster in north Africa. Some over water, like Morocco, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, and many over land. Note the longest miles-per-watt from my QTH, on the Gulf Coast just south of Tampa, seems to have been from up into Ontario, except of course for the mega-QRO Big Gun broadcaster on 171 kHz.

Starting 0200Z 12/16/2012 (UTC)

KHZ Callsign and QTH

171 Radio Mediterranee International Nador Morrocco (1600 KW!)
    206 VNC Venice FL
    216 CLB Wilmington-Carolina Beach NC
    221 FX Fort Lauderdale Executive
    221 OR Orlando
    230 ULC Cayo Largo del Sur CUBA
    257 SQT Melbourne-Satellite FL
    260 MTH Marathon (Key) FL
    275 FPR Fort Pierce FL
    280 MQW McRae-Wheeler GA
    283 UZG Zaragoza CUBA
    326 PKZ Pensacole-Pickens FL
    329 CH Charleston SC
    329 YHN Hornepayne Ontario
    332 FIS Key West - Fish Hook FL
    341 FM Fort Myers
    344 ZIY CYM Georgetown - Grand Cayman
    344 IWJ Blakely GA
    344 JA Jacksonville FL
    360 PI St. Petersburg FL
    368 TP Tampa FL
    376 ZIN Matthew Town-Great Inagua Bahamas
    376 BAXLEY GA voice modulation message = "Baxley Municipal Airport automated altimeter three zero one two" at 0214Z
    379 BRA Asheville-Broad River NC
    382 APT Jasper TN
    385 KLT ???
    388 AM (huge sig!) Tampa FL
    389 DDP San Juan-Dorado PUERTO RICO
    408 SFB Orlando-Sanford
    478 WD2XSH/31 ham beacon from VT, RST 549 0400Z
    510 HMY Lexington-Muldrow OK
    521 GM Greenville-Mauldin SC
    526 ZLS Stella Maris BAHAMAS (under splatter from Cuba etc on 530)
    529 LYQ MORRISON-ROSEANNE TN (under splatter from Cuba etc on 530)

6. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great thread going here! Very FB, VK3FI!!
    I got my start listening to Short Wave Broadcast on the chassis out of an old floor model radio with the green "cat's eye" tube in the front. Fifty years later I still miss those old BC stations.
    A humorous side-note relating to W0PV's post: years ago I got to where I couldn't fall asleep without a fan going to drown out the traffic noise. A buddy told me to tune an AM radio to a dead spot instead; the "white noise" would do the same thing. Trouble was, at night I couldn't find a dead spot. Instead I was picking up radio stations from all over the country...some with pretty good signals. And, being an SWL at the time, that had the opposite effect...I couldn't sleep at all then...Hi!
    Very 73 all...Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.