ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Intl DX CW power level reports

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WM9I, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WM9I

WM9I Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I participated a little in this weekend's contest and am confused by some of the power reports by the DX stations. I understand kw and 1tt, but what is nn? 99 watts?

Some insight will be appreciated.

Thanks de Joe WM9I

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe,... I think it must 99 watts.
    In these contests, where every second counts (over the long haul),... I'm just guessing it's faster to
    send "NN" (for 99watts) than it is to send "1TT" for 100 watts. :confused:
    I may be wrong...
    Steve

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, NN is shorthand for 99 (N is the "cut number" for 9... as in 5NN signal reports)

Most of the power reports I got were K or KW for the high power stations, 100 (or 1TT or ATT) for the low power. Most of the I stations were 400 or 500, most of the G/M stations were 400.

I did work a few NN's. A few 300's. One 50. And one station sent 1500... no cut numbers, either.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't log down the numbers. Not required for confirming a DXCC Country.

5. W1RJ

W1RJ Guest

I worked several of the NN stations too, assumed 99. But I wondered how everyone was logging power levels? If someone sends "KW" do you log 1000 for power or "KW"?

Didn't see anything in the rules about it and I suspect either is ok. Just curious what everyone else did. I logged the numerical value instead of the cut numbers actually sent.

Bruce W1RJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.