ad: UR5CDX-1

Announcing QRZ Logbook 2.0

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

[TABLE="width: 550"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD]QRZ is pleased to announce that Version 2.0 of the QRZ Logbook has finally arrived![/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Today's announcement represents the culmination of a 2 year development effort that has resulted in some significant updates and improvements to our very popular Online Logbook.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]The new logbook pages are available for immediate use and for a short time, both the old (Logbook V1) and the new (Logbook V2) will be simultaneously available on the system. After a successful trial of the new system, Logbook V1 will be discontinued and all existing records will be moved to Logbook V2.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

What you need to know about Logbook V2
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD]With the V2 release, QRZ is introducing a major architectural change in the way QSO logs are handled. In contrast to the existing V1 Logbook, V2 employs double blind comparison when confirming contacts between stations.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]To illustrate the difference, consider that under the V1 logbook, the contacted station would be notified that an incoming QSO record had been received and was awaiting confirmation, which could be done with just one or two clicks. Under the V2 system this automatic notification of the contacted station does not occur. Instead, the contacted station must also LOG the QSO themselves. The V2 database system then automatically confirms the two contacts when a match is detected.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]This type of double blind confirmation follows the standards already in use by other awards organizations and gives first class status to logs that are originated and maintained on QRZ.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

QRZ Logbook Version 2 Features
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD]New Dedicated Server and Database
    QRZ has leased all-new hardware that is dedicated for use by the V2 Logbook. In contrast, consider that the V1 system shared the same hardware and database used by our callsign database. By having a dedicated server and database, the V2 logbook gets a head start in performance and our callsign database will get performance relief as the V1 logbook load is lifted from its responsibilities.

Since the V2 system uses a separate database, your logs from V1 must be migrated into the new system. This migration is automatic when you first use the V2 system, however, users should note that once you have started using the V2 system, there will be no further data sharing between V1 and V2.

Please note that once the system-wide trial period has ended, the V1 logbook will be retired and all of your existing logs will be found on the V2 system. Going forward, the V1 system will cease to exist.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Automatic QSO Confirmation
    The V2 system automatically finds matching QSO's from other logbooks and marks your log entries as confirmed and eligible for award credit.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Multiple Logbooks Per Callsign and User
    A user may now have multiple logbooks in their account. Each logbook is separate and may be uploaded or downloaded individually*. Each logbook has a specific callsign and date range for receiving incoming QSO's from other users. This might be logs under your old callsign, or, logs generated while you were operating overseas, or using other special event callsigns. Each logbook has an associated date range that provides for multiple users of the same (past) callsigns.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Multiple Users per Logbook*
    Under the V2 system you may grant access to a logbook to other QRZ members that you designate. This makes it easy for contest operations where multiple users are making QSO reports for the same callsign.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Advanced Display Filtering
    The new logbook display gives you the ability to filter the displayed records by specific criteria. For example, show all contacts in a particular band, or show all contacts from a given country. Many options are available.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Advanced Export Filtering*
    V2 now gives the ability to export your logs to an ADIF file with specific record selection criteria. As in the display filtering (above), under the new system you can choose to export only those records that match a given criteria.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Automatic Dup Checking
    The V2 system performs a duplicate check on every QSO entry. A duplicate is defined as a record having the same Sender/Receiver callsigns, same UTC date, hour and minute, same band, and same mode as an existing record. Unlike the V1 system, you may re-upload your personal ADIF file multiple times without worrying that duplicates will be created. The V2 system will only pick up the changes (if any) in the latest upload.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Stroked (Prefix/Suffix) Callsign Support
    You can now create a separate logbook for each callsign variation, (e.g. N0AMT is one logbook and VE2/N0AMT is another). Each logbook gets its own distinct date ranges and location data.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Log Filler Function*
    If you have a log containing sparse data, for example, only the callsign, date, time and frequency, you can upload this log to QRZ and our server will fill in the missing details (such as name, QTH, grid, lat/long, street address, etc). Subscribers can then download this log which now contains everything we know about the given callsigns.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]ADIF Import by All QRZ Users
    Under V2, no subscription is required to upload your ADIF logs. All QRZ members will be able to upload their logbooks into the V2 system.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Logbook Analyzer (coming soon)
    A built-in Log Analyzer create statistics for each of your logbooks to tell you which entities are needed for a given award.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Confirmation Request Messaging System
    At your discretion, you can elect to have the system send a Private Message (PM) to the station with whom you've logged a QSO, alerting them to reciprocate in kind for mutual confirmation. The contacted station must log the QSO in order for you to receive credit.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]* While most features are available to all users, certain functions, such as logbook export and download, will require a Subscription to access.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

Try the V2 Logbook now at: http://logbook.qrz.com

73, QRZ

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Thanks Fred,

Looks very nice, thanks for the hard work from all involved.

It seems to have transferred over with no hassle, and it ignored some duplicates. :)

73 K2HAT Lee Hatfield Jr

3. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred,

Looks very nice, thanks for the hard work from all involved.

It seems to have transferred over with no hassle, and it ignored some duplicates. [​IMG]

4. KC2WLR

KC2WLR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW! Absolute fantastic job! Thank You! Many more filter options for searching. My country count at the top of the page. Nice touch. Thanks Again. Pat KC2WLR

5. K3GD

K3GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Please add a way to delete all items in the log so I can reload from start. For what ever reason I have a ton of duplicates and I would have to delete every one every time I upload a new ADIF file. I think two different log program files have enough difference that QRZ logbook thinks they are different contacts and does not purge the duplicates. I don't mind as long as I could delete and then upload a new ADIF file each time.

Otherwise, it is an awsome upgrade for sure!

6. IW5EDI

IW5EDI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done.
    Congrats to the developers team.

IW5EDI Simone
    www.iw5edi.com

7. KD4QMY

KD4QMY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job on the upgrade but is there a search function that will allow a call sign to be located in the logbook? A search for a specific call in the logbook? With the previous version I could search a call that is in my logbook but I didn't see this feature with Ver. 2. Am I overlooking something? Thanks, KD4QMY

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is Great, Thank You.

Is there a chance that QRZ will be a Ham Site again ?

Seems like it has been taken over by politics and BS.

Thanks to the group that keeps QRZ going.

9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Fred especially for the ADIF feature :)

10. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Using the 'Show Filter options' button you will be able to add filters as needed :)

11. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I entered my only two QSOs from when I was a Technician last May, 2013. The first one with W5CR entered fine. But the one for KF5XRA said he was in the Netherlands Antilles; however, he talked to me on 2m from the same county I'm in. I think he was driving, so wasn't at home. He was less than 50 miles away.

12. N0AMT

My email is in my signature. Please email me your ADIF files. You should not have any dupes. A dupe, by our program's definition is a QSO in which:
    A) Callsigns are the same
    B) Band is the same
    C) Mode is the same
    D) Date is the same
    E) Time is the same to the minute (seconds are ignored)

If those criteria do not match, it is not a dupe! It's two different QSOs. If those criteria do not match, and they are supposed to, your ADIF is not according to the ADIF spec.

At any time I can empty your logbook (with the exception of confirmed QSOs. If it's confirmed, the other party entered it too, and it matched.) The chances of you both entering matching and incorrect data is very slim.

13. N0AMT

KF5XRA does not exist in our database. We have no data on his DXCC Entity, and therefore set it to DXCC Entity: 0. Zero in our database is currently set to "Netherlands Antilles" This is not correct, and is something we're addressing.

Thanks!

14. KD4QMY

I viewed the Show Filter options but I don't want to filter the logbook, I would like to search for a specific call sign that is in the logbook. For example: I answer you calling CQ and I want to see if I have had a QSO with you in the past, I would enter N0AMT in the search box and if I we have spoke before it would show up in my logbook. I did not see a "search" function in the Show Filter options. Thanks, KD4QMY George

15. KD4QMY

Ok, got it now....Using the Show Filters function, Add "Their Callsign" the select "Matches" then enter callsign that you're searching for then select "Add rule" which yields the results, if any, then "select" the red/white minus sign to delete the rule and return to the logbook to it's normal view. 73 KD4QMY George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.