ad: Mountaingoat-1

80m ham radio band used for wideband video/data

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

80m ham radio band used for wideband video/data

Trials in the UK have used 3.613 MHz for 24 kHz bandwidth high-speed data and video transmissions

In recent years there has been increasing military interest in high-speed data on HF.

By using modern modulation techniques a SSB channel can support a raw data rate of 12800 bps and wider transmissions can support proportionally faster data rates. Trials have shown that color video at 15 frames per second can be streamed on HF in a bandwidth of just 18 kHz. That is the type of bandwidth that may be accommodated in the amateur radio 29 MHz band.

In the UK HF trials have taken place between Blandford and Portsmouth (Portsdown), and Arbroath and Portsmouth. They used frequencies, licensed by Ofcom, of 3.613, 6.390, 7.975 and 13.047 MHz with bandwidths up to 24 kHz and power up to 400 watts.
    Information on these trials can be seen at
    http://www.hfindustry.com/meetings_..._hfia/presentations/RC_WBHF_UK_Trial_2012.pdf

USA trials of video streaming over a 1320 km HF path
    http://hfindustry.com/meetings_pres..._Rockwell_WBHF_High_Order_QAM_OTA_Results.pdf

Military Aerospace reports that short wave radio (HF) is being considered as an alternative to Satellite communications (SATCOM)
    http://www.militaryaerospace.com/bl...s-nervous-about-satellite-communications.html

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/august2013/80m_ham_radio_band_used_for_wideband_video_data.htm

[​IMG]

2. K1ATV

K1ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

AH - Half Fast Scan TV.

Bil
    K1ATV
    Mesa AZ

3. K1ATV

K1ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fast Scan is 30 frames per second. Half Fast Scan is 15 frames per second.

Bil
    K1ATV HAM TV
    Mesa AZ

4. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Interesting:)! I remember there was a group of SSTV operators experimenting with NBTV on 10 meters a few decades ago, they were close to getting similar results I think, but impressive a video stream can be sent in such a small bandwidth:)
    Good luck with it, I do not think they would allow it much on bands due to the width but 10 meters and down would be a good place for it IMHO:) Thanks for the interesting story, 73,Michelle:)

5. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew it was too good to be true. The early days of radio the gov't/military left hams alone on HF figuring nothing above LF was worthwhile. Late 20th C to now has seen UHF and above used for cell phones and other industrial/military uses. Now this! Wonder how long it'll be before they start taking the HF bands away from us!! I hope after I'm long gone!
    Vy 73...Joe

6. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny, I thought hams were supposed to be on the cutting edge...

7. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I say give them everything from 14.298-14.315 MHz. I can think of two places on the dial in between there where we'd be able to clean up the trash.

8. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah...the "trash" would just move and dirty up other parts of 20 mtrs....

9. N6DPG

N6DPG Ham Member QRZ Page

heh?

not the time or the place for this kind of info...politics on Africa?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps, but at least I wouldn't be run off an empty area of frequency that is alocated to all amateurs.

11. ZL4AU

ZL4AU Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a genuine pity things are coming to this, the RSGB should step in and put a stop to that or at least redirect these scientists to other parts of the HF spectrum. The HAM bands should forever remain for
    AMATEUR RADIO USE. Actually,, ALL OTHER amateur radio governing
    bodies world wide should voice a strong opposing opinion against this
    move and BLOCK this. It may be timely for all the real hams to start voicing
    their opinion against this as well.
    Thanks
    zl4au

12. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You do realize, don't you, that the frequency in question on 80m ham radio band is not authorized ONLY for Amateur Radio. In Region One where this took place, the Amateur Radio Service shares Primary status with both the FIXED and MOBILE radio services. The station was authorized to be there in full compliance with the rules. Heck, the same holds true for Region 3 which includes ZL-land.

In fact, with the exception of 3500-3750 kHz in Region 2, the entire 80m Amateur band is shared with other services all around the world.

Dave
    K3DCW

13. N1VY

N1VY Guest

The quote from Archbishop Tutu is all well and good, but what does the quote have to do with ham radio?

14. KD8SAV

KD8SAV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like the military is looking to HF as back up in case satellites go bad for some reason.

It makes sense.

15. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

It makes allot of sense, considering the Chinese have already proven their ability to hack and attack our satellites. A back-up is certainly needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.