ad: HamHats-1

Mahoning County ARES host webinar with ARES groups involved with Hurricane Sandy.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8RJS, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC8RJS

KC8RJS Ham Member QRZ Page

What is being billed as the first of its kind, the local ARES group of Mahoning County Ohio, will be holding a webinar presentation with several ARES members of New Jersey and New York who were active before, during, and after, Hurricane Sandy. The 20/9 ARC K8TKA will be hosting the event at their regular club meeting on April 9,2013, at 7:00PM. The location of the meeting is the Austintown Senior Center 100 Westchester Dr. Austintown, Ohio 44515. This is a presentation conducted and coordinated by Mahoning County ARES. The ARES groups on the Webinar will be presenting information on how Amateur Radio responded, what were the strengths, the weaknesses, and what was learned from this most recent natural disaster.

This event is open to all hams interested. The 20/9 ARC invites any hams in the local area to attend. The webinar is being conducted with the GoToWebinar program and the amount of participants online are unlimited. Additional information on the event can be found at www.mahoning-ares.org. The information on the meeting location can be found at www.20over9.org. There are also links to maps to the Austintown Senior Center.

73's
    KC8RJS

[TABLE]
    <tbody>[TR="class: searchable"]
    [TD="class: cR cVT"][/TD]
    [TD="class: cR cVT cUT"][/TD]
    [TD="class: cVT no-print"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: searchable"]
    [TD="class: cW cVT cUT"][/TD]
    [TD="class: cR cVT cUT"][/TD]
    [TD="class: cVT no-print"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

2. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Please, for those of us who can't tune in due to work or family issues (I work nights and weekends), make this available for viewing later online. I would love to view it but will not be able to tune in when it is live.
    Thanks.

3. N3VUO

N3VUO Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings to all, I second the referenced,below, request by Steve, KC%SAS
    Thank you for all you do and 73. Charlie,n3vuo

4. KC8RJS

Not a problem we are supposed to be able to record with Goto Meeting, but I will be recording separately and post it on YouTube, I'm not sure how well the quality will be but will do my best.

73's

George Meleski KC8RJS
    President 20/9 ARC K8TKA

5. KA8PSH

KA8PSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I truly hope we have a packed house . This is a unique opportunity.
    ONWARD and UPWARD

Dave-20/9 K8TKA trustee

6. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well? How was the turn out and participation for this? Was it a success? I look forward to watching it when it's made available online.

7. KC8RJS

MCARES 4_09_2013_A.JPG MCARES 4_09_2013_B.JPG Well the turn out was pretty good we had members from all three clubs in Mahoning County and some from neighboring ones as well. Although it was not as packed as we had all hoped it still was well attended. There were technical difficulties with GoToMeeting so the person who organized the event determined it did not record as planned. There were several questions about if there were digital mode operations or if the served agencies had difficulties with their equipment but because of previous Hurricane Irene they had made improvements to minimize any disruptions. In New York they did some of their operation on a repeater network system so they had coverage on most of the that side of the state with access points having power backup systems. One of the big things they hit on was going into the damaged areas was to make sure you had a full tank of fuel and maybe some extra especially in New Jersey since the power was out for many areas for some time. Another idea used was the use of a UPS to power some low to mid wattage AC powered items by attaching them to vehicle batteries, and occasionally turning on the vehicle to charge the battery and continue operation. Now you can go a step further and use a lawn mower engine and a small car alternator to charge a battery bank and power a voltage inverter. http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.