ad: AbAuRe-1

Joint Point Lighthouse Op - Nov 23 & 24 MD/VA Border

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K1LFG, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1LFG

K1LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have received my permit to operate from Jones Point Lighthouse from the National Park Service.

Call: K1LFG/P
    Date: Nov 23rd (afternoon) & 24th (all morning, and part of afternoon, conditions permitting)
    Modes: SSB only (see restrictions)
    Bands: 10m, 12m, 15m, 20m, 40m (late)
    Location: Jones Point Park, Jones Point Lighthouse (ARLHS USA-409)
    Virginia & Maryland border, very close to the District of Columbia southern border point. I will be operating from outside the lighthouse, with my portable station literally splitting the VA/MD border.

If there is enough interest (100+ QSO), I have permission to have special color QSL cards made with photos of the site, NPS / ARLHS logos, and other historical information.

Notes:

The permit is very restrictive; I can't have anything staked down, nothing attached to the trees or lighthouse, no commercial power or generators, can't block the walking paths, "voice only" (SSB), check in with park police, 1 person permitted, no shelters, the list goes on; it's 5 pages!

2. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

Nick,
    You might want to pick out some approximate frequencies for each band and let us know what they are. Will you be monitoring any local repeaters ? Sounds like fun, I will try to give you a shout but all I have up for an antenna is 20 Meters and it usually is not worth a darn that close :(

Bill

3. KA9PIJ

KA9PIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency on the 10 meter band?

Jerry
    KA9PIJ

4. KA9PIJ

KA9PIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What 10 meter frequency and time will you be using?

Jerry
    Ka9pij

5. KC9UJP

KC9UJP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

made contact on 14.275

6. K1LFG

K1LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

11/23 & 11/24 Jones Point Lighthouse Operation Information.
    Thank you for all those who worked me! I was able to get over 100 QSO's and will have some custom QSL cards made soon. Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to my QRZ Address and I will send the cards out once I get the cards designed and printed.

I was operating portable at Jones Point Park, part of the greater George Washington Memorial Parkway system run by the National Park Service. Specifically, I was right up against Jones Point Lighthouse (ARLHS USA-409)
    This is a tri-border area, with VA, MD, and DC all having markers. The actual DC border on maps is showing just north of here in the river, so I had to settle with setting up at the closest point near the border stones. Below is a picture of the site.

NPS Website: http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/index.htm
    Jones Point Park Website: http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/jonespoint.htm
    ALRHS Website: http://wlol.arlhs.com/lighthouse/USA409.html
    Coordinates: +38° 47' 25.46", -77° 2' 25.67" (38.790405, -77.040465)

[​IMG]
    Conditions were pretty cold and the wind kept the operation challenging. According to the weather.com, winds were sustained at NNW at 27mph and gusted to 39mph. Temps topped out at a mild 51F at noon and then dipped to 36F by 9pm, just as I was leaving the park. I had my power limited to 100 watts with battery and solar power. I made a few QRP contacts then moved up to 20 - 50 watts once the sun came out and the wind didn't blow away my thin-film solar panel.

Overall I am happy with the operation since I reached over 100 QSOs! If you weren't able to work me, have no worry; I will be applying again for another permit for spring and fall of next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.