ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

This is sweet. More bling for my uniform. And the scouts are going to dig learning it.

I'm not too sure that I could be conned into thinking that Morse code is a "language", but I'll go along with continuing efforts to teach it to scouts. Way back in the early '50's, the Charles Howell Scout reservation taught me enough to get badges in cooking, marksmanship and code, among others. All have been very handy over the years. I hope that in addition to teaching the code, they teach the several methods of sending/receiving including radio and light blinking.

Good job, the requirements are not too hard, but require some regular effort and commitment. If it's made into a fun group project this achievement should be doable by almost anyone who is serious. Listening (and replying under supervision) to some slow code on the radio is an obvious tie-in. And I bet once scouts get it some can be talked into going on for the ARRL Code Proficiency Certificate as a pretty easy next step.

OK, this is good, PROVIDING this is not a substitute for the HAM Radio Merit badge! I just hope they are not setting up to eliminate this Merit badge since they now have this new language badge.

What is the definition of a "language"?
    a : the words, their pronunciation, and the methods of combining them used and understood by a community ;
    b : form or manner of verbal expression; c : the vocabulary and phraseology belonging to an art or a department of knowledge.

How is Morse Code not a language, you can send via your mouth if desired, Morse Code is the method of communicating words/phrases to a unique group or community?

I would say Morse Code is the simplest of all languages with various dialects being (the amount of sloppy fist used) speeds.

interpreter strips are not the same as merit badges, interpreter strips were originally so that when scouts at world jamborees etc met they could find others to communicate with. I can't imagine one scout knowing Morse needing another scout to interpret for him but I guess it is a very small possibility as in a hearing impaired scout tapping out code for a to communicate with a non hearing impaired scout.

Unofficial? I will have you know that the Klingon Empire is the only confirmed contact that I have towards my WAG (Worked All Galaxies) award. It damn well better be official.

1 ATLANTIC HOUSE COURT APT 3 HULL,MA 02045

THAT IS GREAT NEWS MORSE CODE CAN BE LOT FUN
    K1LWI WEN

Two fifth graders at the school where I volunteer were chatting during class one day last year, not too loudly, but the teacher was getting a little distracted so I walked up behind their desks - just in time to hear them going "didahdah dit dahdididit dit dah dah..."and so forth. I "broke" into their QSO; they went QRT. We had a discussion after class. They're both sixth graders now, and both Generals. And all three of us are/were Scouts!
    A day without thermonuclear fusion
    is like a day without sunshine.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
    73 de Pat, K7KBN
    CWO4 USNR Ret.

Default Morse code strip

GREAT I just went thru code last year, with the whole troop, as part of the centennial renewal of the SIGNALING Merit Badge. They learned Morse, as well as Semaphore. Had to send and receive CW by sound and flag, and Semaphore by flags as well. Built keys and keyers, etc. It was great, and we all had lots of fun, spending about 15 minutes a night at our Tuesday night troop meetings, for about 6 weeks. Sadly, the badge is no more, once again. They brought it out for our 100th anniversary celebration, along with 4 other older and cancelled badges. My oldest grandson received it, but his younger brother has just joined the troop this year, so has missed out on it, probably forever.

Quote Originally Posted by N6JSX View Post

What is the definition of a "language"?
    a : the words, their pronunciation, and the methods of combining them used and understood by a community ;
    b : form or manner of verbal expression; c : the vocabulary and phraseology belonging to an art or a department of knowledge.

How is Morse Code not a language, you can send via your mouth if desired, Morse Code is the method of communicating words/phrases to a unique group or community?

I would say Morse Code is the simplest of all languages with various dialects being (the amount of sloppy fist used) speeds.
    MC is not a language, you cannot use it by itself to communicate with another person. MC is an alphabet substitution code. The language used is whatever underlying language is being sent by those encoded letters. It could be English, French, or Spanish.

I see it discussed all the time, but MC is simply not a language. As its name says, it is a code.

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast