ad: Radclub22-1

Don Rohn, leader of Rohn Towers (SK)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9GB, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don Rohn, leader of Rohn Towers during its growth from a small TV-tower manufacturer to an industry giant, died on Nov 21st at the age of 72.
    Rohn towers are by far the most common in ham radio and set the standard by which towers are judged.

Story in Wireless Industry News
    http://www.wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#Don_Rohn

2. K4WWV

K4WWV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've trusted my life to Mr. Rohn and his products for now almost 45 years. We shall miss him. Our sincere condolences go to the family, with great respect for what he brought us as hams, tower techs/owners and other countless individuals and companies his excellent work touched. The Rohn legacy will live on for decades to come. Dave, K4WWV

3. KT4EP

KT4EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sorry to hear this... I have a Rohn 25 tower set in a yard of concrete I poured myself in 1993. Tower was used then. No rust now. Solid as a rock product.

4. KE9DK

KE9DK Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked for Don and Richard Rohn for 11 years. I met Don at the Frankfort Indiana plant where I made various tower parts.
    I am glad you posted this info so I can contact Richard.

Dave Kessler - Kf9QS

5. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was given 40' of rohn 25 when I relicensed after being out of ham radio for over 30 years. I love his stuff...bullet proof, when installed properly, will outlast MY lifetime....best 73's in your next life, and thanks for your contributions to ham radio!!

6. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In just under 20 yrs in the tower industry I have stacked many thousands of feet of Rohn tower from 25G up thru SSV's. Has always been some of the best stuff out there and like others have pointed out--it's what others measure themselves against.

I always felt safe and secure when belted off to a properly installed and maintained Rohn tower. My heart goes out to his family.

Wayne

7. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Great towers...still have my HDBX48 in my shed in storage...solid built, rugged and reliable....
    I was saddened to hear the new, and saddened when they more or less no longer carried the line....

I climbed mine a lot and never had any concerns...

8. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

The good news is that his legacy is secure - the Rohn tower will remain a standing monument.

9. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Innovators in life are difficult to find, Don was not only an innovator but a great business man. He knew not only his product but his clientele.
    I own many rohn25 and rohn45 towers which I use for the hobby and many other things. Though the man is no longer with us his product will live on.
    Everyone in this hobby either has purchsed a Rohn Tower or knows of the quality and cost effectiveness of this amazing product.
    The Ham Community is sadder today with the passing of Don Rohn.

Thank you DON Rohn

RIP

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. KE7ZOI

KE7ZOI Guest

My heart is sadden with the knowledge that yet another leader in Amature Radio is gone.
    73 to the Family of Don Rohn. He Will Be Remembered.
    Dave

11. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Love my Rohn 25 TOWER Fold over 58 FTS . R.I.P. DON
    WEN K1LWI
    HULL,MA

12. W1HPT

W1HPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 42 ft Rohn fold over tower in 1958. It withstood east coast hurricanes and never rusted. Rohn's focus was building high quality products that lasted, as will his legacy. We have all lost a great friend.
    Frank, W1HPT

13. N3GN

N3GN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 40 ft RHON 25 which I put up in 2000. It stands today and looks a fine as the day I put it up. When I got my beam I also got a used 50 ft crank up tower that was in pretty shoddy condition. I spared no expense and wanted to do the tower right and I went with Rhon. Im sorry to hear of his passing. He provided a quality product, thanks Don RIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.