ad: ProAudio-1

Your chance to visit the Radio Caroline ship, MV Ross Revenge in August during GB55RC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Your chance to visit the Radio Caroline ship, MV Ross Revenge in August during GB55RC
    2019 is the 55th anniversary of Radio Caroline and the Martello Tower Group are going to be celebrating this by running a ‘special’ special event from MV Ross Revenge from the 1st to the 5th August using the callsign GB55RC.

In previous years, they’ve operated from the Ross Revenge and made many thousands of contacts. This year should be even busier with the unique callsign GB55RC

The fully insured tender will depart from Mersea Island at 10:00 and 13:00 on the 3rd and 4th August for the approximately twenty minute journey to Ross Revenge. You will be greeted by members of the Martello Tower Group, offered a drink and then given a tour of the ship, including transmitter and generator rooms, studios and the record library. You will also see GB55RC being operated from the main Mess Room of the ship.

[​IMG]

If you’re interested, please see the qrz page for GB55RC here: https://www.qrz.com/db/GB55RC which has more details and if you’d like to book, please email gb55rc@martellotowergroup.com making sure you say which trip you’d like to be on, Saturday or Sunday at 10:00 or 13:00.

The cost of this trip is just £25/person (payable in advance), places are limited and are selling quickly.

To whet your appetites, you can read reports of previous activations in 2016 and 2017.

Keith G6NHU

Secretary, Martello Tower Group
    http://martellotowergroup.com

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/june/gb55rc.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

N7BDY, K8AI, 4X1ST and 2 others like this.
  2. 2E0DED

2E0DED Ham Member QRZ Page

is it me being old or does that name still mean a massice chunk off your childhood.

what a great daay out and what a great place to visit, cheap as well for the costs involved too

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW, I used to listen to that all the time when within range in the USN Reserves occasional "summer cruise" in the 60-70's. Controversy was non stop and competition was fierce.

Carl

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Boat That Rocked! (aka Pirate Radio)

Great movie - wish I could see the full version

KD9FEK and WA6MHZ like this.
  5. 3DA0AQ

3DA0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The sister-ship "Radio Dolfijn" became adrift in a storm and was captured by England. The transmitter was a 50 kW Dougherty modulated, later donated to Swaziland.
    Via a deal with government we got the transmitter and diesel-generator at Trans World Radio -Swaziland. We wore out the diesel as a stand by. The transmitter was in daily use until 2010, before it was replaced by a semi conductor model. I had lots of adventures with the old transmitter. The ship was very similar to Caroline.
    73's de Hans

N2EY likes this.
  6. K3DRJ

K3DRJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Caroline...brings back good memories...I was in the Navy and stationed at the U.S. Navcommsta Londonderry, Northern Ireland and dialed them on the R-390 while on watch at the Receiver Site. Wish I could join in the fun.

W4NFR likes this.
  7. DF7FE

DF7FE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To say it with Eric Burdon: "When I was Young". To listen to Radio Northsea Intl. (RNI), Radio Veronica or Radio Caroline was one of my first contact with shortwave Radio. It was a great time...

8. KE6BK

KE6BK Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember listening to Radio Caroline when stationed at RAF Wethersfield

9. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I would love to do that trip, long way from Napa CA though, I remember listening to them the first few days they were on the air down the bottom end of the medium wave broadcast band, that dates me I know!

KC7HDE likes this.
  10. K2IE

K2IE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We were supposed to go visit this past March but the trip was cancelled because of safety concerns about high winds. Hope to try again if cirsumstances permit.

11. PU2OLT

PU2OLT Ham Member QRZ Page

;)
    Meu sonho é visitar este navio e conhecer os transmissores da antena do operador de rádio e todo o pessoal.
    Mas minha residência é longe SP / SP Brasil mas espero que a festa seja muito grandiosa
    Oliveira pu20lt

12. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW great news wish I could make the trip but a little $$$ just to get there ! Those who do go & please have a GREAT time & by the way do they have to jump in the water from the top of the TOWER ! great fun. & I also used to listen in on the pirate station when I was back home in England ! P.S. Go MANCHESTER CITY !!! GOAL !!! Phil KI6PMD..

13. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil, Manchester City just bought the title, you should support a great team like ARSENAL! at least they are closer to the Thames Estuary than City!

14. K9TJL

K9TJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the Pirate Radio stations in the 60-s. Was stationed at Edzell, Scotland in the US Navy.

TJ Liddell K9TJL

15. N5CWA

N5CWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to listen to Radio Caroline and Radio London at night when I was stationed in Norther Germany in the early 60's. Great memories!