ad: ProAudio-1

Yaesu FT-891 Review: A Sleeper of a Deal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This does appear to be a multi-machine issue, and perhaps a design one. I hope they fix it for you, but I am pessimistic.

I wonder if they would be able to adjust software to higher port speeds? As W1PJE has noted, increasing to its highest port speed makes the click reduce, and much higher in pitch. If they could go from its max port speed to 38400 to 119xxx, or whatever that high port speed is, I wonder if they could reduce that noise entirely? I also wonder if the noise might then interefere with digital performance (or if it does, already)?

At this moment, I cannot recommend this rig for digital mode use with rig control. It is a good value for SSB use, and portable SSB, but if you plan to go digital, I would look into other rigs.

I am new to digital modes, and leave commenting to others who know more.

W1PJE likes this.
  2. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked into the potential interference with digital modes by capturing audio in WAV format and then analyzing it with a couple different tools including spectral analysis. It was very clear that the periodic interference was going to provide QRM to any digital mode no matter what baud you used. But modes like FT8 and JT65 have a lot of coding redundancy built-in (error correction, etc.) and in practice you might not necessarily notice the problem as it would not be that correlated with the code sequence itself. In a controlled lab setting, I would bet that you could show that the weak signal floor of -24 dB in e.g. JT65 over SSB bandwidths was degraded (i.e. noise floor raised) by the QRM, but you'd have to isolate that and it might be hard to conclusively prove the problem exists.

It would be equivalent to having a really strong in-band transmitter within your SSB filter bandwidth competing with the digital coded signal coming in through the antenna RF path.

3. KD1YF

KD1YF Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently purchased an ft 891. I have limited space for a shack and recently retired and want to spend more time on the low bands. I read the story in arrl about the IMD problem but read the article at least four times and did a lot of research.
    Well, I bought the rig from HRO and quickly unpacked it read the manual and turned it on! LET me tell you. THIS IS ONE SWEET SURPRISE. I work predominately cw and it' superb receiver and easily accessible controls works wonders in any pile up and a transmitter getting solid reports off an attic bound end fed.

While I have never done much phone work, I figured I would try my hand at some net work on 75, and 40. Again with great success. I agree that a different mike and headset could
    make operating more comfortable with possibly additional performance.
    I learned some 50 years ago that when operating with an antenna turned, it' best to log the settings. It's success continues with using a manual tuner with the ft891.. Once you have set the reference band switching a 1.2 and 1.1 swr are readily obtained.
    To close. A fantastic little rig with a great price small footprint and ease of operation. A pleasure to operate.
    73`s. Roy
    KD 1 Y F