Yaesu FT-891 Review: A Sleeper of a Deal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K5IKR

K5IKR Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure do appreciate you taking the time and sharing all your info here and on your blog sir. It helps a lot of folks out. I don't own a 891 yet but was wondering if the firmware resolved some of those issues. Gigaparts was sold out of these a few weeks back and mtcradio is currently sold out in their brick and mortor store. Pretty popular radio. 73

3. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-891 is a great rig at a great price but as with everything, there are a couple of small thorns but nothing serious [​IMG].

I and my company are developing a control program for the FT-891 which allows quick & easy band and mode changing(overcomes the FT-891 LSB/USB switching problem), direct frequency entry, quick access favorites, full metering with selectable analog & digital modes, and many other features.

When finished, this program will be freely available to any who wish to use it with no charge and no limitations whatsoever. Here are a couple of screenshots of the prototype which I am using now:

With analog multimeter:

[​IMG]

With digital meters(red light shows transmitting):

[​IMG]

If you would like to be notified when this program is available for download, then leave me a note via the contact form at http://www.carasmfg.com (contact link upper left) and I will contact you when it is ready. [​IMG]

KE0EYJ likes this.
  4. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Impressive, looks great. Appreciate you sir, 73.

5. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Anyone know if the 891 works with the popular MFJ-939 antenna tuner? If so, would you press the tune button on the MFJ or the 891? Looks like it would be a good compact combo for portable. Thanks in advance.

6. WB2SMK

WB2SMK Ham Member QRZ Page

On other rigs where users report high audio hiss level with earphones I have heard it attributed to the use of high impedance earphones. Adding a small series resistor will leave plenty of audio with the AF gain set higher but reduce the hiss at low levels with no/weak RF coming in.

I'm intrigues by this rig as the price has dropped further to the point where it would be reasonable for a full function yet portable rig.

Thanks for a great review!
    73, WB2SMK

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Received a notice from HRO that the heil mics are being shipped. Should have mine today!

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"Reasonable"?????????????/ thats' an understatement if I ever heard one:D

The only HF rig that I know of that is cheaper is an Alinco.

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Take the price and throw in the free heil mic and the deal is even better. Tried the mic extensively with the FT 891 last night. Received very good audio reports.

Most places are sold out of the 891.

ND6M likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, the Heil adapter itself, which they also include, is worth $35.