ad: cq2k-1

Video of FT4 talk by Joe Taylor K1JT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

From the PDF: FT4 offers a sensitivity advantage of about 10 dB over RTTY.

WU8Y likes this.
  2. AC6BW

AC6BW Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good time synch program is Net Time. Very simple to install and use. I checked its accuracy with the link that was posted earlier, and it is dead on.
    It is free, and open source.
    http://www.timesynctool.com/

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a MASSIVE amount of FT4 activity today on 14080 KHz. The band is open from eastern USA to EU. The frequency is PACKED! K1JT was on for awhile too.

Called CQ and got FLOODED with responses. Heart-rate following QSO rate. :eek:

[​IMG]

K2NCC likes this.
  4. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Vince,

I could not agree more. Band plans and recommendations are inconsistent across nations; additionally there are different levels of regulatory policing across the Amateur world: i.e. in some countries if you fail to adhere to a band plan its bye-bye licence. In other nations (i.e. Australia) band plans are just a "courtesy" and "gentleman's agreements".

The best example that I can offer of what you put up as an issue is the HF Net run on a Monday night (bi monthly) by the Australian Ladies Amateur Radio Association - ALARA ( https://www.alara.org.au ). The "Monday Night" HF net has been run for years on 3570 KHz (see that link). I accept the instant argument back that their national net is Phone LSB and digital Tx is always modulated (putting it simply) on the "Upper side". Yet some of us that monitor this net (and in the background ensure its safety) have observed considerable interference and splatter issues for the ladies.

Having an ALARA Lady here with me as my partner (Donna - VK3LDY - active on analogue repeaters but scared off a little on HF) sometimes the additional splatter, noise and "safety issues" turns her (and others) right off HF. This sets AR in general back considerably; we all know that we are massively under-represented by ladies on the airwaves.

Tradition prevents them moving the net.

[ I think you will now understand what I refer to "Safety issues" - under the HAM - Help All Mankind banner - but without interfering ].

Vince you perhaps an issue that the IARU (all regions) should be looking at? Their considerable financial pools and political skills should be used more effectively and uniformly to deal with and put pressure on National Regulators consistently and WORLD WIDE to make procedures and processes more uniform, regulated and hence safe and welcoming for ALL AMATEURS worldwide.

Now this is a simple example of your point Vince and yes I know that there are arguments to and fro that we can bounce around with regards to this situation - avoiding situations and mitigating issues. (Again others no trolling the messenger on these points).

Steve I

5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="VA3VF, Looks like it has already changed. I did not check every band, but on 40M it is 7047, if I recall correctly.

Yep, 7.047 MHz is a good frequency as the only user that I could find there is this one.

HF W1AW Morse Code Practice Transmissions
    Frequency Mode
    1817.5 kHz CW
    3581.5 kHz CW
    7047.5 KHz CW
    14047.5 kHz CW

6. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

"...the only user that I could find there is this one. HF W1AW...""

You do understand that using a search engine to see who is on the air, has been on the air and will be one the air is not accurate - right ?

7. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

FT4 vs FT8 summarized in this video. What are the differences?

8. M0PAM

M0PAM Ham Member QRZ Page

It was nice if JOE reply to the hams that ask for help, and not ignoring does are asking for help

9. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

They've been offering code practice for decades.
    http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-operating-schedule

10. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes - and I've worn-out a lot of pencils, copying them for half a century. Pre-internet, it was where I got my technical reports on solar conditions & propagation forecasts and also satellite ephemeral data, especially while overseas.

73 de Ray ..._ ._