ad: wmr-1

Video of FT4 talk by Joe Taylor K1JT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Video of FT4 talk by Joe Taylor K1JT

On March 15, Joe Taylor K1JT gave a talk on the new digital mode FT4 to the Fair Lawn amateur radio club

"Soon after the "FT8 Roundup" held on December 1-2, 2018, we started serious work on a faster, more contest-friendly digital mode that can compete with RTTY-contesting QSO rates while preserving many of the benefits of FT8. The result is FT4 -- a new digital mode specifically designed for radio contesting.

Over the past month a small group of volunteers have been conducting on-the-air tests of FT4. The early tests were very successful and helped us to make a number of important design decisions. We believe FT4 has considerable promise for its intended purpose.

We'll soon be ready for testing by a larger group. If you might be interested in participating and offering your considered feedback, please read the descriptive document "The FT4 Protocol for Digital Contesting"
    http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT4_Protocol.pdf

We plan to post downloadable installation packages for WSJT-X 2.1.0-rc5
    on April 29. The document linked above includes
    - Instructions for installing WSJT-X 2.1.0-rc5 and FT4 configuration
    - Operating instructions for FT4
    - Basic description of the FT4 protocol, modulation, and waveform
    - Detailed sensitivity measurements for FT4 under a wide variety of simulated propagation
    conditions
    - Schedule for upcoming test sessions

Please consider helping us to make FT4 a successful mode for digital contesting

With best wishes and 73,
    -- Joe K1JT, Steve K9AN, and Bill G4WJS"

Watch Dr. Taylor - FT8 & Beyond: FT4 - Finale, this mode is 3x Faster than FT8

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/april/video-of-ft4-talk-by-joe-taylor-k1jt.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AC7DD, K2NCC, KX1MAD and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That was an interesting talk.

It's good to see them finally get away from external clocking.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I read somewhere that clocking is back, as the initial tests were not promising.

WU8Y likes this.
  4. VA3VF

Found the comment:

"At about 20 minutes into the video presentation, Joe describes FT4 as being asynchronous, meaning that you can start transmitting any time you wish, rather than being synchronized to an accurate clock. That asynchronous method did not work out as well as expected in on-the-air testing, and was abandoned.

The version of FT4 that will be coming out on Monday is synchronous, on a 6-second cycle, and requires a more accurate clock than FT8. One thing that you can do now, before the program release on Monday, is to make sure that your computer clock is as accurate as possible. The Meinberg NTP program is recommended by K1JT for keeping your clock accurate https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

You can check the accuracy of your computer clock by going to www.time.is

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL"

I was never a fan of Meinberg. I see no reason why D4, BktTimeSync, and others would not work.

WU8Y, K2NCC and N6SPP like this.
  5. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the URL to check my computer accuracy. Mine was .027.

6. VA3ECO

VA3ECO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As always, a fantastic presentation by Joe.
    The Pulsar story at the end was fascinating.
    -Chris VA3ECO

N6SPP likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a shame.

That said, it's a hard problem to solve well. A significant portion of the SNR of the modem receiver depends on good clock recovery.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the gift of yet another new mode, Joe!

K4AGO, K8XG and N4QX like this.
  9. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only real reliable way to keep your PC hyper-accurately synchronised is via the multiple constellation of atomic clocks whizzing around us in Low Earth Orbit.... i.e. The GPS Satellite constellation.

Some say HAM's have their pockets sewn up when it comes to spending; By far the CHEAPEST and MOST RELIABLE way from my extensive experimentation in the area (for other purposes) to access accurate, consistent time synchronisation is with NMEATime2 ( http://www.visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content ) and a $15 U-Blox module off EBay (i.e. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ublox+dongle&_sacat=0&_sop=15 ).

[ Minor correction: I note that some devices i.e. VK-172 [UBlox 7-based] can be purchased from China through EBay for around $US10 delivered ]

No I am not a salesman for such products; these products just work - and work well - from my ongoing practical experience in both fixed and portable operational environments.

And I echo the sentiments of others in expressing gratitude and thanks for the plethora of new modes that are surfacing - the modes that some claim are destroying AR but really are invigorating and modernising AR and its thinking !

My thinking in many of these areas has changed ! I will admit to not being in favor of the "automation" in activity initially - but now I can see that it is mandatory and I am now sold on the concept.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    AC7DD, WU8Y, KB2HSH and 3 others like this.
  10. VK3MH

VK3MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI we VK's work NA and SA on VHF every summer on FT8 and JT65. 73 VK3MH

NR5O likes this.
  11. VA3VF

And together with BktTimeSync, the user has the option of sync'ing to an NTP server or GPS. I have been using this combination for a long time now.

12. VA3VF

That is it! You grasped the difference between a protocol requirement, due to human reaction time limitations, and automation for the sake of unattended operations. The operator is still present and in control, deviation of purpose aside.

FT4 apperas to make it even more of a requirement. The evolution of the JT modes from 1 minute cycles, to 15 seconds, and now 6 seconds determined the need for the so called 'automation'.

One is fully within his/her rights to shun this development. Enjoy the hobby any way you see fit.

13. KH6KG

KH6KG Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW! Joe Taylor and team did it again!

WU8Y likes this.
  14. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an old buzzard operator....YA AM and slop bucket and cw. ft8 is ok for some, but not me. too quick. I'd rather put people to sleep and keep the others interested. The computer clock and the clock in the program had to be calibrated every other day or sometimes everyday if the computer was not connected to the internet every day. So when you operator your station without a internet connection, the computer goes off snynozation.( can't spell very well ). So rather than have to keep taking the computer in the house every day along with dinner pale,breif case,coats and hats, I rinely said the hell with it and deleted the program and went back to AM,CW AND PSK.

K0TWA likes this.
  15. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope the JS8 program coming out is like HAM RADIO DELUXE only hope it boots up faster and takes less time.