Study predicts next phase of solar cycle will bring on 'Mini Ice Age' as early as 2020

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by NC8X, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Or use nuclear power.

2. AC0GT

I haven't seen "Iowa type" snow in Iowa for a 2 or 3 years now. Had a real bad snow storm 3 years ago, if I recall correctly. That snow storm and my broken feet convinced me I needed a snow blower. Since then I used it just once. We'd have snow but I found it easier to just sweep the snow off my driveway with a broom than bother with the snowblower. A snow blower is nice when the snow gets to be three inches deep or more, when it's less than that then it's easier to just thin it out with a broom and let the sun take care of the rest. Running a snow blower is a lot of work, and a broom is much lighter.

N2NH likes this.
  3. KA5ROW

KA5ROW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1998 we got 17 inches of snow in one day. Seen a few 8 to 10 inches snows, most of the time it is 4 to 6 inch at a time, maybe 2 to 3 snows per season. None this year and that was disappointing.

4. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

There was 5 to 10 inches of snow here on Dec 8, 2017. Mt. Cheaha state park got 15 inches. There are only, recent purchase by the county, 4 trucks to spread sand, etc. in case of bad weather.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive experienced blizzard conditions and over 18" of snow in KS and OK a few times. OTOH watching people drive in 2" in Dallas was a historic laughable moment for this NH boy.

Carl

AC0GT likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The #1 rule at any college or university is Publish, Publish, Publish and keep that grant money flowing. Producing anything worthwhile for the general population is not a priority with many. The Europeans are already fully brainwashed in believing fairy tales and the USA is trying to catch up in their new consensus rules mindset.

Carl

KC5SAS likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The most Ive seen in one 24 hour period is 46". Multiple storms have dropped almost 60" in a week....makes the ski industry happy.

Carl

8. AC0GT

I lived in Austin, TX for about a year and saw it snow twice while there. When it snowed while at work my manager told everyone in the group that everyone could go home early before the roads "got bad". It was maybe an inch of snow and it melted in a few hours. The next snow was at night and a bit heavier, caused some downed power lines. People didn't know what to do. I'm sure some houses got a bit chilly but if they bundled up there was no real threat to life and health as power was restored quickly.

We saw snow here in Iowa over the weekend, a very late winter this year. It's cold but the snow just keeps melting away in the sun. We could use some "global warming" this year, sounds like the weather is interfering with farmers planting their crops. If we are in fact on the edge of a mini ice age then we could all use some global warming.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nuke technology is way ahead of the 70's.

Or actually do something about cleaning up coal, we got plenty so use it and stop throwing money at people who hate us.

Carl

10. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We got hit with 4' of snow on the mountain I was living on. This was a few weeks after Sandy hit. Snowed in for 3 weeks and 5 days without electricity. It makes you stronger. I know what you mean about cities not used to snow. When I worked in Washington DC, the town would shut down with an inch of snow on the ground and it was slip and slide driving for the locals.