ad: ProAudio-1

Rep. Greg Walden, OR (R) used Morse code to announce chairmanship

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4KB, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4KB

K4KB Guest

Rep. Greg Walden, OR (R) used Morse Morse code to announce his chairmanship of the Communications, Technology and the Internet Subcommittee (CTI).

Tech nerds had to appreciate the irony of Rep. Greg Walden’s announcement Thursday that he would lead the House’s top telecom panel.

The Oregon Republican took to Twitter to announce in near 140 character Morse code he will chair the Communications, Technology and the Internet Subcommittee.

Walden had long been considered a top candidate to lead CTI, given his broadcasting background – his tweet even included his call sign,W7EQI, which references his amateur radio call sign. Moreover, he has significant favor among GOP brass: Walden departed the Energy and Commerce subpanel earlier this year so that Democrat-turned Republican Rep. Parker Griffith (Ala.) could have a committee assignment.

He will take over at a time when a number of tech issues are on the immediate political horizon – including Net neutrality, or rules that would require Web providers treat all traffic equally. Walden previously voted against a Net neutrality amendment in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  2. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is a mode, another form of communications.

So, i'm curious how many people were able to decode the ancient form of amateur radio communications? In fact, that form of communications is actually called Modulated Continuous Wave since technically it wasn't done over a transmitter but it's good to see the mode of the minority of amateur radio operations hasn't completely died off.

--... ...-- -.. . -. ..--- --- -... ...
    *SMILES*

3. 2E0GOM

2E0GOM Ham Member QRZ Page

morse code from his tweet... http://twitter.com/#!/repgregwalden

.-- .. .-.. .-.. -.-. .... .- .. .-. -.-. --- -- -- .- -. -.. - . -.-. .... ... ..- -... --... ...-- ... .-- --... . --.- ..

my translation
    WILL CHAIR COMM AND TECH SUB 73S W7EQI

and good on him.. as for who understood., it's been retweeted by at least 26 people so a fair amount probably got it straight off heh

4. KA7ZDD

KA7ZDD QRZ Member QRZ Page

Congrats to W7EQI for the Upgrade to Chairman. Sure liked the way how the Senator announced his appointment....Morse Code...the original digital.

Kurt R Warner - KA7ZDD
    Milwaukie. Oregon

5. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Kurt,

Have we met? I don't live very far from you. I am on River Rd.

6. K5FAL

K5FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL somebody was a little upset. Congrats to the representative from Oregon!

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ugh, I believe that's not Senator, but Congressman.

Of course, with Fred Upton being the full E&C Committee chair, there may not be a lot of hope for amateur radio. Upton had previously chaired the subcommittee of telecomm and the Internet when the GOP had their last majority.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Walden previously voted against Network Neutrality, so he's clearly a bad guy. too bad for the United States and the world.

we don't need that kind of help, trying to get back on our industrial footing again!

9. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Network Neutrality as currently construed is not freedom-friendly. Do we really want give away any more power to unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats, this time at the FCC? Think it though!

Sending his announcement Tweet using Morse Code was clever. Sure is nice to see some creative thinking instead of the same old nonsense in Washington, DC.

10. WK5X

WK5X Guest

Congratulations to Congressman Walden.

Without a doubt, the United States Congress is in better hands now.

11. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's certainly creative but we can't Morse Code Tweet our way out of two wars, double digit unemployment, and the worst recession since the 1930s. Finding solutions for these problems would be creative thinking.

I'm for Net Neutrality, but frankly I'm tired of the FUD thrown at it and am willing to throw in the towel and scrap it. Let's go ahead and end the 15 great years of Internet innovation. It will be painfully obvious why net neutrality is needed when you can't download Netflix videos because your ISP who is also a cable provider thinks that cuts into their pay-per-view revenue. Net neutrality isn't freedom friendly if you want the freedom to shaft consumers.

12. W0JRM

W0JRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Best argument yet. I typically agree with a certain group of political commentators, but their outright lies about net neutrality get old after a while.

13. W7GIB

W7GIB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly why do you want our freedoms destroyed? Net Neutrality is NOT about Network Neutrality. It is about stopping certain voices from being heard. If you do not believe me, read it for your self.

14. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

Please elaborate. Whose voice won't be heard?

Ironically, without net neutrality, your voice may not be heard on a competitor's VoIP service if your ISP decides to block it or QOS it into oblivion. Don't like it? You have the freedom to get another ISP, if another one is available. Oh, your cable company has a monopoly franchise and you're too far from the telco central office for DSL? Sucks to be you. However, you have the freedom to move to a new city with a better choice of ISPs, or get a satellite Internet connection with 600 mS latency that makes VoIP painful.

15. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe this will start a trend. I would like to see our politicians talking in morse code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.