ad: M2Ant-1

KL7Y SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by AB0MV, Nov 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB0MV

AB0MV Ham Member QRZ Page

DANIEL K ROBBINS - KL7Y died in a motorcycle accident Thursday according Bill Fisher, W4AN.

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii. October 31, 2002

A 54-year-old Alaska man died today after he lost control of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle he was riding in Kona and drove into a lava field, the  Hawaii County Fire Department said. The victim?s name was not immediately  released. The accident 12 miles north of Kailua-Kona on Mamalahoa Highway was reported at 12:57 p.m. The Fire Department said the victim, who was not wearing a helmet, suffered head and other injuries. He was pronounced dead at Kona  Community Hospital.
    Honolulu Star-Bulletin article

© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://starbulletin.com

KL7Y was a gentleman on the air and mentor to many hams and contesters.  Dan was always extending his hand outward in friendship to other hams, whether it was giving out that rare AK low band mult in a contest, making skeds at odd hours for hams who needed him for awards, emailing advice and ideas to new hams and QSLing even when I was new and didn't know to send an SASE.  He always gave of himself to others and to our hobby.  I couldn't help but have a smile on my face when I heard KL7Y calling CQ on the air.  
    Merri AB0MV

----------------------------------------------------------

The Amateur Radio operators of the world will miss Danny, KL7Y  --- he was my "nemesis" -- I only HOPED I could operate CW as well as he, or build such a station myself.  Hundreds of thousands of contest contacts came from his Alaska QTH .. giving Zone 1, KL7, AK, etc. to hams looking for their first contact with the state, or the multiplier for the contest .. I hope the local hams will do as Dan's good friend -- John, WA2GO, has mentioned, and keep the world class station going .. and, retain the "YANKEE" callsign for that operation!
    Details, etc. at:
    http://www.contesting.com/articles/336
    Recent picture of Danny --
    73, es .. CQ Contest, OM ..   see you on top band!
    Mark .. AA6DX

2. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just learning about Dans death from this posting...this is unbelievable. I operated from KL7Y in the 80's and knew him...he was a very cool guy and supreme operator. I would spend many nights sitting on .52 simplex in Anchorage "drinking with the boys" while looking for dx and calling it out, Dan was always there along with Joe, Chuck, Mike and others...i was a persistent, pain in the arse kid, but he was always cool to me. I learned a lot about DXing from him.
    Wow, this sucks!! i lost contact after i moved stateside...but continued to work them in contests. I last talked to Dan in an email, he was quite happy to hear from me and i will miss him.:-(
    Rest well my friend, we'll work again someday.

Adam, N7YA (ex-NL7CT)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.