ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Uncomplicated Contesting: Nate N4YDU

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, May 9, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_105_Contest13_YTThumbnail04.jpg

Nate Moreschi, N4YDU, is an elite contester by any measure. His long list of competitive accomplishments includes entries as a single operator, multi-multi, multi-two, and multi-single. However, the numerous plaques on his wall and his World Radiosport Team Championship (WRTC) experiences only begin to scratch the surface of this ham radio operator, who often competes as NR3X and, most recently, as AA4NC. Nate's home shack brims with decades-old gear. He is not particularly fussy about the brands he operates, there is no climbable tower on his property (and he doubts there ever will be), and his collection of used and homemade antennas (he’s is a big experimenter) are not "superstation material." Nate is decidedly positive about ham radio, and his solutions for growing the hobby are refreshingly commonsensical: attend meetings, seek advice, get on the air, and absorb the magic of radio contacts. Join Chris Hurlbut, KL9A, and me for our conversation with Nate in Episode 13 of the Contest Crew. 73, Kevin W1DED

K0UO, 4X1ST, N4FZ and 7 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for NOT calling it "GAMING".

The ARRL has taken a new initiative to call 'contesting' GAMING. See the the ARRL CEO's talk scheduled on GAMING at Hamvention on Saturday:-(

That is a false, misleading and inappropriate 're-set'. There are no video games nor gambling in contesting.

:-(

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    N4FZ, W1DED and KR3DX like this.
  3. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video! I like Nate’s enthusiasm, and looking at his scores on 3830, he is an elite contester and has stamina keeping BIC. But I’d hardly call his operating “uncomplicated”;). SO2R, 2BSIQ, multiple amps, antennas, and living on the east coast where you can create great Eu DX pileups and knowing how to handle them. His scores reflect that ability.

K9EZ, K7QA, AJ4LN and 2 others like this.
  4. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fair point. I struggled with the word "uncomplicated." I needed something that would fit on the thumbnail and suggest his willingness to use old gear, any brands, no climbable towers, no rotors, no crazy switching, etc. Thanks for your input, and for watching. kt

AJ4LN, KE5CT and N4FZ like this.
  5. LU7DLS

LU7DLS Ham Member QRZ Page

6. LU7DLS

LU7DLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video and also very interesting Nate N4YDU's career as a radio amateur and as a contestant.
    On the other hand, (and I clarify that it is not my intention to disparage Nate's achievements or his value as an operator and contestant for our hobby), I personally believe that if a great operator has the good fortune of living in a geographical area that, due to its topography, and/or proximity to other DX zones benefit it for its activity, and it also has linear amplifiers, various equipment, etc., it is very likely that the ham in my example can obtain great achievements.
    I reiterate, without ceasing to admire Nate's career, I also think it is necessary to highlight the work of many other radio amateurs who live in remote countries (in my case Argentina) and who compete in SOAB categories with a transceiver of no more than 100w ( In my case I never compete with the transceiver delivering more than 70w), without any help from any amplifier, and using a vertical antenna or a double bazooka; Operating in these conditions, competing against the hams that play in the major leagues, is also worth highlighting, despite the fact that generally we rarely obtain very important classifications.
    However, we do not want to be among the first in this or that international competition: we like to compete, just for the sake of doing so to improve our operating capacity.
    I hope I haven't offended anyone's feelings.
    A cordial greeting to all.
    73 & DX
    Daniel - LU7DLS
    Beccar - Argentina
    Enviar comentarios
    Paneles laterales
    Historial
    Guardadas

NN3RP and K7JQ like this.