ad: Retevis-1

State QSO Parties: The Contest Crew Tells You How and Why

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Apr 24, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_101_Contes11_Thumbnail05.pg.jpg

State and Regional QSO Parties are a great entry point for new contesters and a nice break from the 48 hour madness of the major contests. They all have different characteristics and often dramatically different rules. Hours of operation are typically shorter and some have a unique focus on mobile operations. In this 11th episode of the Contest Crew, Randy K5ZD and Chris KL9A talk about their experiences with QSO parties, offer their unique perspective on what to expect, and have some useful tips. We hope you are able to join us, subscribe to the channel, and send us questions or topics for future shows. 73, Kevin W1DED

K6CTW, W6BFK, KC3CIL and 4 others like this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Florida this weekend !

W1DED likes this.
  3. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been doing QSO parties since the year after I got my license (got it in 2008). They are great. Been doing the QSO Party Challenge since it started, I think 4 or 5 years ago. And also been doing the NAQP SSB for many years, both times per year.

KI5UXW and W1DED like this.
  4. KI5UXW

KI5UXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm gonna have to get on the air then!
    20m/40m here we come!

AJ4LN and W1DED like this.
  5. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's hoping all participants log their contacts on The QRZ Log Book
    Looking to acquire as many counties as possible
    Florida I will be playing on All Bands

[​IMG]

W6BFK, W1DED, KD2WWY and 1 other person like this.
  6. N3OA

N3OA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s been a struggle to get the 2 QSOs required for the State QSO Party Challenge. I’m looking forward to Florida to get some points to help my overall score. So far, from my QTH in Maine, Wisconsin and Michigan have had the most activators.

AJ4LN and KI5UXW like this.
  7. N3OA

N3OA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kevin, as I’ve said before, my husband, K3PW, and I enjoy your interviews so much! You keep your guests on track and always bring them back around to the important points.
    Also, I want to thank you for giving Randy Thompson a voice in the YouTube ham radio streams. He has a unique perspective informed by his long history of contesting from both the operator side and administrative side. I’ve learned so much about the culture of amateur radio and contesting from his insights.

W1DED, KI5UXW and KT4PH like this.
  8. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Way out here in Hawaii propagation does not always align with the bands state QSO party participants are using. West coast QSO parties such as the California, 7QP, Salmon run work best. Being on the receiving end is the most fun and I will see you all in the Hawaii QSO Party August 24-26.

W6BFK, AJ4LN and W1DED like this.
  9. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you to my Maine friends!

10. DL4MD

DL4MD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a foreign Member of the ARRL for many years now and i am searching for skeds in CW only to ID, SD and WY for the WAS. Got the other States in my LotW-Log ;-) ..
    Skeds welcome to morsefreak@me.com or via my website www.dl4md.de
    tnx a lot es vy 73 de Dirk, DL4MD

11. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ain't no party like a QSO party cuz a QSO party don't stop:cool:

12. W6BFK

W6BFK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have you in the log for in the WX4E Charlotte county log. Thanks for the contact!

N3WVB likes this.