ad: TinyPaddle-1

April Issue: The Logger's Bark Magazine

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Apr 1, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all who viewed and commented on the March issue of my club's magazine.

If you missed that post, here's the brief backstory:

I took over as editor and publisher of our club's newsletter in January. It was just your standard newsletter like most clubs produce. But I have a long background in graphics and as a writer, so when I took over the challenge as editor, I decided to make it something special.... a full-blown magazine, with club news interspersed of course, but lots of feature content. Some written by contributors in the club, some from friends here on QRZ, and a large quantity I produce myself.

QRZ was very gracious in January to donate 15 QRZ-1 Explorer radios to a local event, called Camp Quest Northwest, where a group of teenage campers and their adult counselors took up residence in the W7DK clubhouse for a weekend. The goal was to expose them to radio, help them study for their Technician exams, and ultimately take their test with the club's VE team. If they passed, they would receive a QRZ-1. The club paid for all of the training materials and waived the VE fees for the students.

Recently I presented the resulting article of this fabulous event to my fellow staff at QRZ, and the response was overwhelming to start publishing the Logger's Bark on the front page of QRZ each month as another fun resource for hams to read.

So here we are for the April issue and again a BIG thanks to QRZ for hosting this publication here.

Here is the direct link (be sure to DOWNLOAD it not just preview, otherwise some hyperlinks won't work):

https://static.qrz.com/w7dk/April2024-QRZ-compressed.rc.pdf

I hope you enjoy it.

Dave
    W7UUU

April Bark for QRZ image.JPG

View attachment 1166760

KE3N, BA7JAJ, KO4CES and 34 others like this.
  2. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

I will read it tomorrow with my coffee Dave! What a good looking front page!

Ronnie

KC0KJG, AK5B, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  3. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW what a great newsletter. I spent more time reading it then the last few issues of QST combined. And I'm not even a club member.

W2NCC, AK5B and KA2BKG like this.
  4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Great and lavish newsletter or maybe more than this.

Ms Swift looks a bit bored. The party is outside of the kitchen. :)

AK5B and W7UUU like this.
  5. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pocket Kilowatt ??? Would this mayhaps be an April Fools Gag ?

AJ6KZ, K7YB and AK5B like this.
  6. KD8OCT

KD8OCT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work, I know it's a huge effort to pull a news letter together, but wow 100 pages. Hope you had some help with that!

AK5B and HB9EPC like this.
  7. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When our club used to put out a printed newsletter six or eight pages was a big issue. Most were half that. Now..... none.

AK5B likes this.
  8. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

What a truly fabulous article about your unforgettable experience with Joe/WB6ACU, Dave. It certainly made my day. I'm beyond impressed, OM. WOW!

Chip W9EBE

P.S. Joe @WB6ACU, in the off-chance that you ever happen to read this, a heartfelt thank you from this old ham and music freak, for your many wonderfully inspiring (read: mind blowing) contributions to music. May it, and also your ham radio signals, continue to emanate into the ether for a very, very long time.

N3RF, AK5B, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  9. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. That's a pretty fantastic magazine? Whatever it is, I like it. Well done!

I highly regret not following the pine board project more closely but the link in there is fantastic. One day I will build that entire set up.

But what is this??

upload_2024-4-1_10-49-56.png

Taylor Swift visits and all we get is a photo? Maybe I missed it, but why was she there? More please.

Wes
    W3KW

HB9EPC likes this.
  10. KW1NG

KW1NG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Loved the pocket KW amplifier and power modules.. I want one!!! What a great club magazine - lots of obvious effort goes into it. Well done!

W7UUU likes this.
  11. W5MDB

W5MDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow again! As our Club's webmaster and editor of our Newsletter, I know how hard it is to gather meaningful content. Your work gives QST a run for its money!
    73 Mike W5MDB
    Webmaster Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society

HB9EPC likes this.
  12. VE2OPB

VE2OPB Ham Member QRZ Page

replace cq magazine...love it
    pierre ve2opb...

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I do 100% of the layout, artwork, editing (correcting of submitted material, rewrites as needed, etc.) and assembly. I do about 70% of the core material writing and usually 99% of the photos. It's a TON of work but I wouldn't do it if I didn't want to.

Dave
    W7UUU

AJ6KZ, K7YB, DO1FER and 5 others like this.
  14. W7UUU

View attachment 1166962

Taylor Swift visits and all we get is a photo? Maybe I missed it, but why was she there? More please.

Wes
    W3KW[/QUOTE]

Ahem.... did you notice the date? :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KF5RRF, K7YB, KF7PCL and 6 others like this.
  15. W7XTZ

W7XTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome to join the club! Mike w7xtz

W2NCC, W7UUU and W3KW like this.