ad: CQMM-1

There's a new portable logger in town!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by LB0FI, Mar 11, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. LB0FI

LB0FI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HAMRS has been the defacto standard for portable loggers for some years now, but there are some bubbles underneath the surface with new loggers coming. I have taken a closer look at one of those.

KN4FTT, KF0PSC, W0DTM and 6 others like this.
  2. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good, I am looking forward to giving this a try. I have tried HAMERS but never got it to work, it will not allow me to sign in, I have went throught the steps a few times and still will not alow me to sign in. Thank you, good demo 72'

3. AE8EM

AE8EM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are activating multiple parks at the same time, how do you do the logging in the app so that you get credit for the multiple parks?

VE3VYT likes this.
  4. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I look forward to trying the software tomorrow from my usual spot. I have been a happy user of HAMRS for the last 300 or so outings but it doesn't hurt to check out other things from time to time.

KD5BVX and G5TM like this.
  5. G5TM

G5TM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let us know what you think Stu.

6. LB4FH

LB4FH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using it for a bit over a week for POTA activations, and I'm really happy so far.

G5TM likes this.
  7. AC9HP

AC9HP QRZ Lifetime Member #646 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would have never called HAMRS the "DeFacto standard". It seems like it was never completed and had tons of bugs. I tried it and was not overly impressed. RumLog and SDR for Icom for my iPad are both great apps. I am sure many others exist and are fine applications too.

W8TJM, KN4FTT and HB9EPC like this.
  8. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HAMRS is a good app. I use it for my POTA and just recently for my first SOTA logs. It works good enough for me as I always work from paper and pen then transfer to HAMRS before sending to POTA, and QRZ. Another good app is ADIFmaster, once you learn this app it helps you quickly edit the logs (example- Replace a park number to all the entries in the log).

9. KC6WOG

KC6WOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never realized there was the possibility of activating multiple parks simultaneously until a few days ago, when a POTA contact on 10 meters showed up in my hunter log SIX times, each entry for a different park.

W1SRR likes this.
  10. LB0FI

You enter all the parks you are activating and PoLo spits out one adif per park.

AE8EM likes this.
  11. LB0FI

What did you think?

HB9EPC likes this.
  12. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll have to take a look at the video. BUT. One of the huge advantages of HAMRS? Mac/iOS/Android.

I normally run it on my Mac, but one afternoon the XYL and I pulled into a park. Got rig and antenna set up. Time to get the computer going. Computer? Computer?!

I'd left it on the kitchen dinette table. I had my iPhone though, and while it wasn't a pleasure to log on a phone, it was doable, and our activation was saved.

I've run it on Windows, too. Never a problem. Never lost any QSOs.

KU8RLY, HB9EPC, AB1BL and 1 other person like this.
  13. K3ABN

K3ABN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll stick with HAMRS...

AB1BL and W1SRR like this.
  14. K8GNG

K8GNG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The POTA rules state that you submit a separate log for each park. So you'd need to make a separate adif file for each park.

W1SRR likes this.
  15. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did check on the new one. Looks like it's smartphone only. I'll be stickin' with HAMARS for now...

KE2CBA likes this.