ad: UR5CDX-1

Run. Win. Repeat. The N5DX Winning Streak

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Feb 24, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_080_N5DX_Thumbnail.jpg
    Kevin Stockton N5DX is the unofficial winner of the 2024 ARRL DX CW in the Single Operator All Band High Power category. Like other US contesters at his level (N6MJ, KL9A), Kevin came from a ham radio family and began contesting under the tutelage of his father, Stan K5GO. Over a decade in the early 2000's, he participated in many K5GO multi-op efforts picking ups skills from his dad and his dad's buddies. He qualified for the 2014 World Radiosport Team Championship in Boston. By 2015. magic happened when he began contesting from the extraordinary N2QV / WU2X station located in the Catskills of New York State. In-person operating quickly evolved to fully remote operation from his home in Arkansas and his winning streak in various contests have continued to the present. Please join us for my conversation with Kevin Stockton N5DX and, if you like what you hear, please subscribe.

W7RY, F4HPX, KC5OMC and 6 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to Kevin!

W7RY and W1DED like this.
  3. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a great interview, as were your previous ones with the other contesters!

HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  4. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Jeff. I appreciate your feedback and that you've been watching. 73, Kevin

HB9EPC and KF5KWO like this.
  5. W5XNA

W5XNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats, Kevin! de W5XNA

W1DED likes this.
  6. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is all nice…and fairly easy to do with large yagis stacked to the stratosphere and legal-limit amplifiers.

Now…do all of this with a couple doublets strung between the trees, an aluminum stick and no more than 100w and I’ll be impressed.

KJ5CZC, G5STU, K7LZR and 9 others like this.
  7. KI6RRN

KI6RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Now... I propose a station swap for a major contest: you at N2QV or similar and Kevin at a station like you described within 200 miles. Kevin will leave you in the dust.
    Driving a NASCAR car at 200 mph is not easier than driving a Prius at 50 mph!

There are separate categories for low power stations!

8. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure ... pick on the poor defenseless Prius! :):):)

K0TNT likes this.
  9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure I totally agree. There are layers of stations that you simply cant hear with antennas at low levels. What we have at N2QV and at K3LR and the like are stacks at 1, 2, and 3 wavelengths in height. We're discussing 20+ dB in antenna gain alone. Running a doublet which might have 3 dB of gain simply isn't comparable. Plus you can't run 2BSIQ with a single doublet.

HB9EPC likes this.
  10. KI6RRN

KI6RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't dissing the poster, just trying to say how Kevin is that good! He will squeeze every last Q out of that doublet. I have seen casual OPs on stacks and legal limit... Those who think it's a game of just being loud get quite the surprise. Nothing about contesting at a competitive level is easy.

Why can't you run SO2R/2BSIQ on a doublet, with the appropriate hardware?

11. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent interview, loved it and Kevin's plate collection

W1DED likes this.
  12. 9Z4A

9Z4A Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats kevin!

W1DED likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will settle the debate:

Its the OPERATOR not the STATION:)