ad: CQMM-1

The Best Ever ARRL DX CW? The Contest Crew Weighs In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Feb 20, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_078_Contest04_Thumbnail02.jpg
    Propagation was outstanding during the second weekend in February 2024 and, by all accounts, the ARRL DX CW contest was one for the record books. Dan Craig N6MJ was operating SOAB HP from the ND7K superstation, Randy Thompson K5ZD was also competing in the SOAB HP category from his impressive station in Massachusetts, and Chris Hurlbut KL9A was on the 15 meter desk at perennial Multi-Multi winner K3LR. Per usual, the Contest Crew weighs in with insight about the weekend and what they encountered on the bands. The conversation is full of contesting tips and their trademark interpersonal competitiveness and banter. Join me for Episode #04 of the Contest Crew and don't forget to send me questions and topics for future shows with the Crew.

KC5OMC, KF5KWO, N7XCZ and 8 others like this.
  2. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Conditions were EXCELLENT, top to bottom. From the west coast, 20 meters QRP to Europe - northers, western, southern, and eastern - was sustained for hours and hours. The best conditions I have ever seen for an ARRL DX CW. Remember this experience when, in five years, we are bellyaching about "how lousy the bands are today," and realize that it's "just a phase."

Scott N7JI CN84 Oregon

N7XCZ, W8KIC, HB9EPC and 3 others like this.
  3. KA4JAM

KA4JAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I operated the contest with my grandpa, W9SN. The multi-op low power consisted of me, W9SN, and Mike: W9RNY. He thinks we won the Multi-op Low Power category, at 6,300,000 points, judging by the 3830 scores. And you're right, the conditions were AMAZING! We were running Japan all through the night and on 40m we ran Europe. At 2:00 AM (1:00 UTC) Europe was still booming in at 20+S9 on 20m and 15m!! Never seen anything like it!

-Jacob,
    KA4JAM

WA4ELW, N7XCZ, N3AWS and 2 others like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Conditions were amazing...and I was ALL SET TO GO!

Somehow...I ended up at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Dizzy World all weekend with the grandkids:(

I musta blacked out or something. Kinda like the 1970s. Everything is still a blur:p

K7HV, HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  5. W3HKK

W3HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! The Best contest conditions Ive ever seen. Even with all-wire antennas I chugged along to 1261Q's and 1.27m points in 25 hrs OTA.. Never did that well before.

I operate as a function of "rate." When it slows, I start feeling the aches and pains, and lose interest. But this year I couldnt make a bad move. EVERY band change led to wealth of loud signals. Time flew! 160m had Euros all ovr the place , so I could even run for 90 mins or so before Euro SR. My best antenna was a home breww Moxon for 10, at 22'. Good for 161 JAs. 4 BY's. 20m delivered 9N1AA Fri night, and a Thailand station Sunday around 3pm.
    40 m brought in back to back to back: ZD7, CB0, 3D2. It was like the whole world was in my radio.

IMO, the 2024 ARRLWWDX-CW test was without a doubt, the best ever for W3HKK, and that goes back to 1956.

Great discussion. Loved every minute of it!

Bob

WA4ELW, HB9EPC, N7XCZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. W3HKK

W3HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome discussion!

And certainly was the best DX Contest I ever participated in. W3HKK ( since 1956)
    I set my personal all-time best score of 1261 Q's. 1.266m points ( with my all-wire antenna farm) in the SOUAB HP category despite losing my spotting capability about four hours into the contest. So I was mostly S&P and about 30% run. Must have missed quite a few mults not being able to see the band. But it was still a personal record! And just wonderful cndx on every band. ! Would have been a great time to go SB on 160 or 10m!

Bob W3HKK

N7XCZ, W1DED and AD5HR like this.
  7. KB8PGW

KB8PGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked the contest with low power and a single low multiband dipole. I heard and worked a few European stations running QRP. Conditions were good down to 80 meters- worked quite a few multipliers on 40 and 80 the last hour of the contest. I ran mostly 10 watts or so and increased power when needed to about 90 watts if I really wanted the multiplier. Stations usually answered me with the first call.

Nice to see the inclusion of the limited antenna overlay. Wonder if this is actually a new contest category or just a designation.

N7XCZ and W1DED like this.
  8. KB8PGW

KB8PGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I count 17 Japanese stations in the log. They were strong, easy to copy. I got most of these within the first couple of hours- the next day one would come on and the pile up was impressive- almost like they never heard a J call before.. :)

9. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes a Great weekend for the contest no million points here, but worked and confirmed some new one's for 10 meter DXCC and got to try out the new MFJ 1792 vertical and also bagged a couple new one's on 80 meters.

HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  10. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also I hope the band's are open like that for the SSB contest coming up this weekend as well:)

W1DED likes this.
  11. WF4V

WF4V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The last few hours of the contest was amazing. I was able to work VK/JA/KH6/E2A and all of EU, AF with ease on 10 - 40 meters using 100 W and wires.

12. W2XX

W2XX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Judging from the people on 3830 claiming limited antenna with a "tribander and wires," it better not be a category unless they're prepared to start policing it. Lots of creative interpretations of the "single radiator" rule to say the least.

13. W6KGP

W6KGP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The interview...great fun. @80 yrs young,, 48 hrs is really challenging :) but i do love to give out a few Q's.
    Good luck everyone in the CQ WPX.
    de W6KGP - Wilson, WY