ad: M2Ant-1

Battle of Moores Creek Bridge Special Event - K4B - 02/26-02/28, 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4OVT, Feb 11, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4OVT

W4OVT QRZ Lifetime Member #738 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    K4B, this year's second "Chasing Cornwallis Challenge" event follows last month's K4C Battle of Cowpens successful event.

A Hearty Hip Hip HUZZA!!! to last month's Participants and Volunteers - hope you kept your powder dry as we turn our sights to the K4B Battle of Moores Creek Bridge on February 26-28th.

K4B will offer (3) activation sites of the (3) days to include:

- POTA Activations operating at the National Park
    - CW Activations
    - SSB Activations
    The K4B QRZ page has been thoughtfully prepared for your review containing information about the Battle as well as a timeline prior and following the Battle.

Shown below is an interpretive painting depicting the Patriot Militia's clever tactic luring both the British Loyalists and Scottish Highlanders to the sabotaged Moores Creek Bridge, planks removed, both log girders purposefully greased at the midway point dumping the enemy into the murky waters below.

The Victory at Moores Creek boosted the morale of Colonial Militia and signaled to the Colonies that the British, even with their rumored global allies, could be defeated.

[​IMG]
    Similar to prior Special Events, the K4B QRZ page will display a flashing ON AIR sign detailing frequency/mode/location.

The DX Summit cluster will additionally reflect activation detail.

Shown above is the K4B QSL Card offered at no cost.

Participants logged into the QRZ Logbook for each K4x Special Event shall qualify for the year-end "Cornwallis Challenge" Certificate of Achievement to be offered at no-cost.

The number of QSL Card requests and enclosures re: last month's K4C event were remarkable with 100% of cards received by 02/01 mailed.

On behalf of the K4x Volunteers, we eagerly anticipate your Check-in during the K4B Battle of Moores Creek event.

We remain grateful for QRZ's promotion of the K4x Special Events.

Questions, comments, and/or suggestions are encouraged.

HUZZA!!!,

Marc - W4OVT
    Greensboro, NC
    Event Sponsor: TEN-TEC Legacy Nets

Donations are appreciated from those who believe what we are doing is important.

[​IMG]

KI6TSF, KD2YQS, KC8EHR and 5 others like this.
  2. PU2OLE

PU2OLE Ham Member QRZ Page

Belo cartão

Gtaria de saber como me cadastrar para receber o meu e deixar na minha estação.

Grande abraço 73 a totos

PU2OLE
    Mauricio

3. M6ECG

M6ECG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Marc, sadly I wasn’t able to make contact with K4C but hopefully the propagation Gods will be smiling for me this month! Wishing you all the very best from Blighty! 73, Lucy:D

4. W4OVT

Olá José:
    Você precisa fazer um QSO com uma ativação K4B e então enviar uma solicitação de cartão QSL para o endereço listado na página QRZ K4B com um envelope selado e endereçado. Não há cobrança pelo Cartão QSL meu amigo.

Obrigado José, de Marc W4OVT

5. W4OVT

Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina hearing your transatlantic signal.
    Maybe you could string an antenna to the top of this lighthouse that just might look familiar:

[​IMG]
    We'll be listening!

Marc - W4OVT

"King George and Broadswords!" - Scottish Highlanders Gaelic Battle Cry Heard at the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge

KQ4CM, WA4RDZ and M6ECG like this.
  6. AC1OC

AC1OC QRZ Lifetime Member #568 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would like to thank you QRZ for letting us know about this remarkable event celebrating the Patriots who founded our nation. This helps us make sure that we never forget their sacrifice.

KC8EHR likes this.
  7. KG2CS

KG2CS Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the hard work and important hsitory!

KC8EHR likes this.
  8. KK4NAW

KK4NAW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just received my QSL card for K4C in the mail today! Thanks for all you folks do to put on these special events, I love working them! I will be looking for you later this month.

9. KB6WJA

KB6WJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Marc you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of the civil war events and willingness to share your knowledge. The majority which is not teached in school. Good luck with the special event.

KB6WJA Chris

KD2YQS and KC8EHR like this.
  10. W4OVT

Pat - thank you for you recognition of QRZ's ongoing K4x support on via homepage thumbnails, callsign pages, and logbook which = all provided FREE to the greater Ham community.

For those reasons we currently focus K4x promotion exclusively via QRZ in addition to on-air word of mouth largely via the 300+ TEN-TEC Legacy Net Member's outreach within and outside of our Nets.

Moving forward with K4x and this July's K4A Launch Edition of America's 250th Celebration, we plan to engage additional stakeholders e.g. National Park Service & Foundation, American Battlefield Trust and Sesquicentennial partners.

There is growing discussion of advancing our events into STEM curriculum or as more commonly includes the Arts defined within the acronym STEAM - we might just as well have some fun with STREAM - Science, Technology, Radio, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics LOL.

In that realm, we will likely turn to the ARDC - Amateur Radio Digital Communications team for support. The ARDC Foundation has been doing some amazing work in recent years.

For Ham's unfamiliar with the ARDC and especially those Ham Clubs needing to fund worthwhile projects, visit their website here: https://www.ardc.net/ - while there, visit their FAQ page and learn about the enterprising minds who turned a block of IPv4 internet addresses into a mountain of cash that has been allocated ever since in the form of grants...capitalism for the greater good waiting for our next great ideas.

What is an IPv4 address you may ask?

Think of them similar to your social security number - everybody has a unique number. Your computer, smartphone, networked printer, basically anything that connects to the internet has it's own number kinda similarly formatted to your SSN which is xxx-xx-xxxx whereas the IPv4 address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx so yeah, a few more combinations...but not enough for what is termed the IoT or internet of things...lots and lots of things.

So, true to the principals of supply and demand, supply had become limited and demand was growing dramatically where the ARDC had the foresight to purchase a large (think huge) block of IPv4 addresses later selling them to a well known internet company who lacked similar vision. Admiringly, the ARDC invested the resulting mountain of money to serve others.

Full disclosure re: Pat - he served as a K4C Volunteer performing both personal activations as well as within his work with the OMISS Net - look forward to having Pat back for K4B along with his impressive knowledge of American Revolution history. HUZZA!!!

11. W4OVT

KG2CS Bill "The Voice of Key Largo" as I long ago anointed him, thank you for your comment!

KK4NAW Brent - Glad you liked the K4C QSL Card - we will once more turn to what we believe is the highest quality QSL Card printer available - QSLWorks - https://qslworks.com/

As Curt writes on his website in the FAQ section: "QSLWorks is different than most QSL card printers. Rather than using a digital printer and then coating the cards so the color doesn't run, QSLWorks utilizes a large Heidelberg, four color offset press to professionally produce a depth, resolution and finish that digital printers simply can't match."

KB6WJA Chris - Thanks for your "civil" comment perhaps intended to be 'revolutionary" lol. Or that may have been purposeful since I often comment our Revolutionary War was much more of a Civil War than our declared Civil War.

This is based on the definition of a Civil War where you have two sides who either want what the other side has -or- to deprive the other side of their wants.

In the Civil War, many (most?) in the South wanted the status quo which included northern factories/warehouses to continue their purchase of raw materials, e.g. cotton, crops.

But that discussion too often devolves into a "Slavery vs States Rights" argument to which my personal belief, having read numerous first-person accounts of Confederate soldiers (some preserved in first person voice on YouTube), the Civil War is better defined as the War of Northern Aggression.

We (thankfully!) have our hands full with the Revolutionary War, which absolutely pitted two sides against one another, than to expand into the Civil War - someone else with better "gift of gab" than I can meet that challenge. I'll place a large order for popcorn and put on the headphones for that series lol.
    HUZZA!!!

KC8EHR likes this.
  12. KC8EHR

KC8EHR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KC8EHR

KC8EHR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Marc, Thanks again for these VERY important Special Event Stations. I believe it is essential for people to learn of these critical events pertaining to the birth of our great Country, as well as to "re-learn" all about them and the interesting facts brought to light from these Special Events. I fully enjoy participating, as well as learning about each one. I'm also looking forward to operating the C.W. Net for the events as well....always exciting, and fun. 73, and God bless - KC8EHR.

14. KB6WJA

KB6WJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Marc as I had a brain fade moment hi hi! My mind was thinking revolutionary but my hands said civil war. Both were big events in our country as we were evolving into the great country we are now. Either way I'm always learning new things about our history thanks to you!

KB6WJA Chris

15. N7GVV

N7GVV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

looking forward to the GREAT history lessons!
    N7GVV, Jim