ad: Alphaant-1

Headset Hacks & Swamps On The Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Jan 21, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

George hacks a gamer headset for radio use. Emile has video from Swamps On The Air. Mike begins his BitX 40 build and mods.
    AmateurLogic.TV

FRANK1961, W7XLR, KE0GXN and 4 others like this.
  2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Price, quality and variety are all so much better among vendors of "gamer" headsets, compared with hammy hambone products.
    Definitely worth the time to explore what's out there. Use the amateur equipment companies to buy pre-made cables to interface with your rig.
    Same for microphones. There are some amazing values out there that sound good, marketed to the far larger audience for podcasts and musicians.
    The savings compared with amateur models can pay for a nice boom-arm, suspension cage, and windscreen

W7XLR, N3RYB, KE5QKR and 5 others like this.
  3. M6ECG

M6ECG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great tip for buying budget foot switches Mike or is that Mic!!! hihi!

W7XLR, KE5QKR, HB9EPC and 2 others like this.
  4. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

AWESOME GOOD LAY OUT THE JACK DESIGN FOR A GAMER HEAD SET..

KE5QKR, HB9EPC and W5JDX like this.
  5. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gut Danke

KE5QKR and W5JDX like this.
  6. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, if you scream out of frustration or chew your words, no microphone in the world can make you sound good. Any good audio setup has to come with a little bit of self awareness and good audio control by the user. And, no, yelling will not make you easier to hear over the static.

W1SRR, N5ZNO, WD4HVA and 3 others like this.
  7. W7TJ

W7TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So let's see - we have had POTAs, SOTAs, and now Swamps on the air .....next it will be OHOTA ( Out Houses on the Air )

KE0GXN, AD4ZU, WD4HVA and 2 others like this.
  8. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

My amps go to eleven. We need a few PITAS to go along with those POTAS.

9. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some points to consider when buying PC gamer headsets for amateur use. One is the type of mic cartridge. My Yaesu FT-991A, as well as the FTDX101 expects a high impedance dynamic microphone. I'm not sure what a PC wants. Additionally most gaming headsets want to deliver a wide audio range since games have soundtracks (do they? I'm not a gamer), so the response is very wide unlike a communications headset where it is designed for a more voice range.

10. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Koss SB40 headset straight into the FT-1000MP and get many unsolicited compliments on the audio. It's been used on my Kenwood's and ICOM's over the years as well, all with great results. $33.99 on Amazon US.

W7XLR, N3RYB, KE5QKR and 1 other person like this.
  11. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

forget outhouses there are way more Porta Potties , they are mobile and could be worked from various grids,

KE0GXN, K3XR, KE5QKR and 1 other person like this.
  12. KE5QKR

KE5QKR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can hear it already John. "PP_POTA, PP_POTA de [Call] Grid PapaPapa01..." Hi! Hi!

W5JDX likes this.
  13. WD4HVA

WD4HVA Ham Member QRZ Page

How about NMHOTA? Not My House On The Air.

KE5QKR, N5ZNO and W5JDX like this.
  14. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use cheap headphones I get a Dollar General. Both wired and wireless work fine and simple to replace when the cable between the radio and headphones gets snagged on a chair arm rest or caught on my desk, rendering the headphone useless....Remember the signals you hear on HF radios are not HIFI quality! A frequency response headphone of 20 Hertz-20 Kilohertz (limit of human hearing) is meaningless.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    W5JDX likes this.
  15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

George and crew best content on amateur radio.

W5JDX and KE0GXN like this.