ad: cq2k-1

10 bands on an 80-6m OCFD with an ICOM 7300 and no external tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2MAK, Jan 18, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2MAK

N2MAK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently went out for a POTA activation to try out the N9SAB 80-6m off-center-fed-dipole. I've had great success with his 40-6m OCFD and was able to get 9 bands on it, plus do a 1 Watt SSB POTA activation. The 80-6m OCFD is a lot of wire, but was not difficult to set up. Additionally, this was during the ARRL RTTY Roundup Contest, so in addition to SSB and FT8, I did some RTTY using the built-in features on the ICOM 7300 (no computer). I had a lot of fun and I'm really enjoying using OCFD antennas.

K0UO, WA2LXB, KQ4PDF and 14 others like this.
  2. KO4PK

KO4PK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy your videos! Keep up the great work!

KC3MZB and N2MAK like this.
  3. N2MAK

Thanks, I appreciate it!

W4LLZ likes this.
  4. M6ECG

M6ECG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks chilly out there! Brrrr! 73 Lucy

W7FBI and N2MAK like this.
  5. N2MAK

Since I operate with the car off, I wear heavy socks to keep my feet warm. And I have gloves for my hands if needed. But those only work for so long and the hands and feet are the first to feel the chill, LOL. It's always fun though.

6. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Title is a little misleading, since four bands couldn't be tuned up without switching over to "Emergency" tuner mode...a feature which might not be available in all transceivers. However, my take away is that the "main" bands of 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 were all easily accessible through the 7300's internal tuner, and the rest could easily be obtained if an external tuner of just about any design was employed, allowing 100w usage across the full range. Nice deployment setup with the MFJ telescoping mast; I have a 30 foot Jackite pole in the garage that I could use similarly. Thanks for the video.

WO8USA and N2MAK like this.
  7. N2MAK

Actually, it was 80, 40, 20 and 10 meters that had pretty low/flat SWR. The 7300's internal 3:1 tuner could match 12m and 17m. However, 15m, 30m and 60m needed more than just a 3:1 tuner.

I have the "QRP" version of the antenna, which is rated for 50w SSB, 30w CW and 20W digital. I almost bought the 100W version, but I operate portable primarily and wanted something a little lighter, that would put less strain on the mast. If I was going to put an OCFD up at the house, I would definitely opt for 100W though.

Thanks for watching!

KQ4PDF likes this.
  8. IU1QVU

IU1QVU Ham Member QRZ Page

YD1DLM likes this.
  9. KD9MGZ

KD9MGZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely a promising antenna... 73 , KD9MGZ

N2MAK likes this.
  10. KD2BRM

KD2BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

An OCF antenna is not meant to be used on bands that it’s not resonant on. Not to mention that there’s usually lots of common mode current on the coax as well.

It’s actually an awful antenna that should only be used if you’re a lazy operator.

KR3DX, KO2Q, W6SFO and 2 others like this.
  11. YD1DLM

YD1DLM Ham Member QRZ Page

3ff443ff385177c228b60c7e13eafc6a.jpg cheers.. have a nice day enjoy with a cup coffee.. '\(' ',)/'''

KQ1V, N2MAK and KE8CUG like this.
  12. N2MAK

Definitely! It's great to be able to get 80, 40, 20, 10 and 6m without the need for a tuner. Nearly all the other bands are just a button push away too.

13. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find these are an effective antenna for most of 80, 40 and 20 meters, that's about it. I had one installed flat top at 60ft and found it quite ineffective on 10 and 6 meters for obvious reasons, it's too long. It may tune up buts it a very inefficient radiator anything higher that 20 meters. Then you have common mode to deal with. It just wasn't for me. Live and learn.

N2MAK likes this.
  14. N2MAK

I plan on using mine mostly for late shift POTA activations on 80-30m. It's nice to have the options for higher bands if desired, but I definitely wouldn't expect them to perform as well.

15. WZ3J

WZ3J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd have to beg to differ. I run an OCFD at the QTH with an IC-7300 and recently started my CW journey. In just a couple months working SKCC, I managed to achieve the grand-sweep. That's every US state, US territory, and each continent, except the Artica's of course. Seems to be a fine antenna to me.
    de WZ3J

W7FBI, W4LLZ, W4DOM and 12 others like this.