ad: elecraft

ARRL Secret Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 6, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

W1AW_front.jpg

Some controversy has arisen of late concerning a motion made in the ARRL board for the adoption of rules collectively known as ByLaw 46.

Non-profit corporations in many states operate under so-called "sunshine laws" that stipulate that official business must be conducted in public and that all corporation documents and proceedings are open for public scrutiny. Governments effectively subsidize non-profits through the exemption of taxes, which gives them an operating advantage over for-profit businesses in the same sector. The proceedings of a non-profit's governing board are therefore subject to public scrutiny since the public has a direct investment in the organization's status. The ARRL is a certified 501(c)(3) entity.

However, The proposed ByLaw update appears to amount to a "Mushroom Law", i.e., people are left in the dark and fed manure.

A growing opinion is that the ARRL seeks to consolidate its executive power by eliminating dissent, maintaining a secret handbook, and gagging its own current and former directors with respect to ARRL's business. The level of specificity in the proposed rules suggests that an untold story lies behind them.

A legal analysis has been penned by Fred Hopengarten, Esq., K1VR, who is also a Past Director of the New England Division.

Have a look at his analysis here:

https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/K1VR-statement-on-bl46-motion.pdf

K1VR provides compelling conclusions based on his experience as a lawyer, a long-time ham, and a former ARRL Division Director. It's an interesting read.

Please note that the opinions expressed by K1VR do not represent the official position of QRZ and are provided here solely for informational purposes.

73 -fred AA7BQ

VK5FUSE, KN4ULD, KV4MO and 46 others like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    HB9EPC, W7USD, W9TNC and 11 others like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred, you well summarize the developing situation! Thanks, bill

HB9EPC, WA4JHE, W5WI and 3 others like this.
  4. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

W7USD, NK2U, N2GJ and 2 others like this.
  5. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this the new "Cloak and Dagger" Anti-membership campaign???

W7USD, WA4JHE, K4DL and 4 others like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NO,
    Unfortunately Just the FACTS

WH6LU, NK2U, NL7W and 5 others like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Summary from lawyers' analysis:

Full PDF:
    https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/K1VR-statement-on-bl46-motion.pdf

QUOTE:
    Proposed ByLaw 46 is a Terrible Idea
    By Fred Hopengarten, Esq., K1VR Past Director, New England Division Why?

 It keeps secrets from members
     You don’t know what it says
     Sometimes, you can’t even find out what it says
     Prevents Board members from talking to old friends without seeking permission
     Can overturn elections
     An accused has little, if any, ability to defend himself before banishment
     It is illogical when it prevents seeking input from members
     Violates state law
     The goal is elimination of dissent from the Board.
     It is designed to be revenge against meddlesome Directors, and it would prevent new thinkers from being elected
    UNQUOTE

KC4GMY, N7SNR, W9MDH and 17 others like this.
  8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The most troubling part of this whole thing is the shadow board. You have 10 directors who meet in secret and agree to essentially nullify the votes of the other 5. This may be illegal, but at the very least it is extremely unethical. My understanding is that Fred Kemmerer, AB1OC is the ringleader of this, and of course the head of staff David Minster, NA2AA is calling some shots since he and Kemmerer meet regularly.

AB1OC is up for election this year.

W0JMJ, W9MDH, N6LRC and 21 others like this.
  9. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have been a little more specific about the source. I take it that this is the latest "Cloak & Dagger" tactics by the ARRL Board that may drive away new and old membership. :mad:

W0JMJ, N7SNR, K2JPV and 2 others like this.
  10. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

I will not renew my League membership. Enough is enough.

N8YA, WI5TX, KC4GMY and 51 others like this.
  11. KC3EWJ

KC3EWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read the “ARRL's Proposed New Bylaw 46” and the “ARRL Board Member Statement on Authority, Responsibility, and Expectations”.

I fully support the “Proposed New Bylaw 46”.

W1JMA likes this.
  12. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you support this proposed bylaw?

WD4KAV, N8XMD, NL7W and 4 others like this.
  13. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Update: Rather than wait until my membership expires in July, I emailed ARRL HQ this morning cancelling my membership immediately.

I hope they have fun opening their Monday morning emails; something tells me I'm not the only one who will (sadly) abandon, after all these years, the organization that was once central to U.S. Amateur Radio Service licensees. Adios...

WI5TX, KW4EVR, K2AMF and 17 others like this.
  14. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hard to believe that anyone is even remotely surprised by this. It is amazing that such a small group of people can put such a distasteful spin on the ARRL.

In this "anything you can get away with is OK" society we are racing to construct - this appears to me to be just another no-fault way of suppressing opposition with impunity.

I suspect there are other forces in play, but that's a separate conversation. I'll send a letter and tell them it smells like a hollow power grab, but more importantly I'll just get back on the radio. :)

WI4MM, W4BWW, K2JPV and 12 others like this.
  15. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish you guys would stay around and vote. Reduced membership numbers do not faze them at all. They’ve planned for this.

What does scare them to death are the members voting them out or recalling them.

KF0NLP, N7SNR, KF1P and 59 others like this.