ad: Mountaingoat-1

Tank Radio POTA Pack Update 2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Nov 24, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its been a while since i went over my POTA pack. So lets see what's new in Tank Radios Pota Pack. Did i miss anything,

Frank L.
    (KG5AHJ)

K8LJM, WM1N, N4FZ and 7 others like this.
  2. WB8RG

WB8RG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Rig Rundown. I always enjoy seeing how other Hams are doing things. You sold a Table; I've been thinking about buying one and after seeing how it handles your gear....Well I want one.

KQ1V and M6EVR like this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

A well thought-out portabel rig. And the handheld with VHF / UHF is mostly enough for to have good contacts to the distance of up to 100 km and more. Especially in the morning at weekends, when the enviroment is sleeping and the interference radiation of cars and other things is really low. But to pay a fee for to visit a park or wood? Really distressing.

EU3LA, DL6SEZ, W7ASA and 1 other person like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You're apparently unfamiliar with the words of the late, great philosopher George Harrison:

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
    If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet
    Taxman

You do have taxes and use fees in Germany, don't you? ;)

KC5HWB, W7USD, N4FZ and 3 others like this.
  5. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I can recommend the DigiRig that was mentioned! It works great and so small! Perfect for any outdoor trip.

KC5HWB and KC7ZXY like this.
  6. DO1FER

Please think on the text from Joni Mitchell when she sung the Big Yellow Taxi.

Verse 2 began with

They took all the trees, put'em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em

That was a thing where in the past the people thought about. Maybe laughed, but never saw that this will come true.

And I like to go into the woods when I want to do this. Without any fees or in the worry to get punished, when I dont pay for to visit the nature. Or do you pay a fee for your hobby, because you use the open sky?

DL6SEZ and WN1MB like this.
  7. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Was your intermittent the squelch?
    Seriously though. If your antenna wire is non-insulated it will connect to the tree.
    Maybe intermittently!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  8. KG5AHJ

I am glad i was able to share. A table in a drive up pack is essential when going to new parks. I found a number parks with no tables.

A good HT is always good to have on hand. Special while camping or in groups, or a HamFest ;)

KC7ZXY likes this.
  9. KG5AHJ

I will check this settings, i didn't think of it while i was an the park.

10. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

It all depends. Fresh air doesn't need to be maintained (mmmm...). Parks do. So you either tax the entire population in a country, including the people who never visit a park, or you let the visitors pay for it. And we in Europe pay a lot more tax than you do in the US. So in Europe you don't pay for park access because we already did. Althoug, park Hoge Veluwe in the middle of the Netherlands seems to charge an access fee too nowadays.

K8NY likes this.
  11. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first became an SWL I used vast lengths ~(100's of feet) of fine mesh woven copper wire on a central foam core, on the trees in my back-garden and in the neighbour's field. it was designed to be very light-weight. At nine years old though, I was also a light-weight and had yet to come to understand the need for what was then known as the 'egg-insulator'.
    They were porcelain then but are now mostly plastic.

As a nine-year-old, it just didn't occur to me, the need to isolate the wire from the trees I was using.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  12. K9VIC

K9VIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm. I have the same computer. Mine works as well as yours. Really loved the size of that thing, but it turned into a brick pretty quickly.

13. KG5AHJ

I had high hope for the system, I wished it lasted a little longer.

14. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Radios dead :( get a aa pack for it. Get some lithium ion batteries, carry those in a battery caddy or cassette and then load the radio when you need to use them. Never be with a uncharged handheld again. lithium ion AAs should have a good long shelf life. The next time you forget to charge your radio you can whip out your back up lithium ion AAs.

15. DO1FER

Maybe you are right in this or that. Here in Germany the most of the wooden places belong to the state. And of course when you visit a wood here, there are rules too. But the state does silvisculture here for to renew, to retain and to expand. Thats where the money comes from. So the rules for the public are easy to follow. You are not allowed to take a piece of firewood to your home. And you have to follow the EU und german rules of nature conservation. For example you are allowed to fetch mushrooms for own own needs but not more. At next truffles are a taboo. And of course try to be as invisible as you can for the nature.