ad: Halibut-1

openSPOT 4 - Did the best get BETTER?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 7, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0DQW

M0DQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here I take a look at the openSPOT 4 from SharkRF. Is it better than previous models? Does it bootup in less than 5 seconds? Let's find out..!

G0UOB, KD2NYJ, WC4R and 15 others like this.
  2. N4VGE

N4VGE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video and no commercials. Stay til the end.

KD2NYJ and KQ1V like this.
  3. K9MC

K9MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done.

4. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have been content if they had just made the OS3 work properly... :/

NE1NH, KN4SKF, K2COP and 1 other person like this.
  5. W2ITG

W2ITG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

30 hours is a stretch and only applies if it’s connected to a “NULL” connector. Which basically means connected to nothing. Who does that? The most I’ve seen is about 10 hours under normal use. It still has some bugs. Since I’ve updated to V24 firmware it doesn’t always announce when it’s connected to something especially when using D-Star direct or cross mode.

Other than the false advertising about the 30 hours it’s been a rock solid device other than some minor bugs when it was released. Not sure about N8FM’s comment about getting the 3 to “work properly” but mine has been pretty bulletproof.

K8XG and N0YPD like this.
  6. KF5SGC

KF5SGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I reached the end of the video. I have never done digital. The video was very informative. I could probably do a lot of the set up but I’m sure I would have a question or two. Thanks, Jack / KF5SGC.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The best? That's always debatable. My observation is the Openspots are expensive, QA is not always what it should be (hardware and software), and they work no better than a nice Zumspot. The plus for the open spots, if you want to operate mobile or portable, they have some features that makes that easier.

8. W2ITG

W2ITG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you 100%, but debatable applies to everything. These are great solution for people that may be a little uneasy assembling a Zumspot or any MMDVM device. As far as expense it’s certainly a lot cheaper than any of Bridgecoms offerings. $450 for the SkyBridge device that costs them less than $150 to assemble and set up, the openSPOT4 is a bargain. Besides they’re using the cheap Chinese boards to boot. Pi-Star can also be very scary for some people. At least with the oS4 you don’t have to worry about an SD card getting corrupted which has happened to me on several occasions in the past when I ran Pi-Star. As always things are always subjective depending on what your looking for and willing to put up with.

W4NNF likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

As an Owner of the OSpot 3 what did you find not work properly

10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones with real AMBE2+ chips for cross mode sound better then my Zumspots I have and some I used to have. Anything using a real AMBE2+ chip will sound better then a software Pi-Star MMDVM software code base

11. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Zumspot I have works great...and I certainly am not inclined to pay the 250 this commands for some slight improvement. Like I said, this can make sense for some. Not me. ;)

K8XG likes this.
  12. WB5WAJ

WB5WAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very informative...all the way to the end!

13. N2LRB

N2LRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the OpenSpot 2 and OpenSpot 3 and both of them either did not connect regularly or disconnecte on their own. I sent both of them back (a year apart) before the 2 week return deadline. I wish they had worked. My twin brother's OpenSpot2 stopped working after one year. So I have no faith in this company. Yet my Zumspot work well for years.

N2YQT likes this.
  14. N4CLY

N4CLY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

mine worked for 4 days and the modem burned out. I got a refund instead of a replacement. NEVER AGAIN!

15. M7BKJ

M7BKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

why should one purchase this product over a smart phone

1) Smart phone handset (alacatel one) costs £40 in united kingdom LINK; Buy Vodafone Alcatel 1 2021 16GB Mobile Phone - Black | Pay as you go phones | Argos

2) runs 4G

3) £10 on PAYG (pay as you go) gives 7GB of data

4) has tethering, which is a mobile hot spot or mobile router

5) can personally confirm that this is compatible with both the Anytone UV2+ and MMDVM Pi Star Zumpot

6) 4G data connection is very stable and quick (this will vary on location)

personal set up that currently use is: anytone uv2+, makita BL1850B 5.0ah 18v lithium-ion , Pi-star MMDVM zumspot, Makita adp05 twinport usb covnervter,
    its very portable and will work in most conditons

Thanks and 73 Max