ad: Radclub22-1

QSO Today with Richard Bateman, KD7BBC, creator of Exam Tools, amateur radio testing software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Aug 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2022-8-26_15-18-18.jpeg
    Richard Bateman, KD7BBC, smitten by computers and
    programming from an early age, used this talent to solve problems.
    Combined with an interest in amateur radio, driven by his family,
    Richard developed Exam Tools amateur radio testing software now used
    by the majority of volunteer examiners today. The Covid Pandemic
    accelerated the evolution of Exam Tools for remote testing. KD7BBC
    tells the story in this QSO Today.

https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/kd7bbc

DL4AD, W7TCT, AK2I and 7 others like this.
  2. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Richard for your contribution to amateur radio.

AK2I, HB9EPC, 4Z1UG and 1 other person like this.
  3. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo pour tout le chemin parcouru, un grand merci pour les nouveaux OM ! A+Chris.

4. K4PRB

K4PRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was an active VE until my club switched to Exam Tools.

KC5AKB likes this.
  5. AI6US

AI6US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our VE team members had been an active group prior to 2020 and now thanks to Exam.Tools, we are an extremely active VE team! Our VE members participate in online Zoom hosted sessions and in-person exam sessions using both GradeCam and tablet options.

This VE kit is made up of two cases. The first case holds 16 Fire tablets running Fully Kiosk (to provide access to only the exam.tools site and calculator) and a USB powered Mango portable WiFi router. The second optional case carries the multi-port charger and cables.

No more human errors in grading, paperwork or signing. No more paperwork to rush off and mail. All electronic submission and best of all, the results are typically on the FCC site the next business day and candidate receives their license within one or two business days!

20220902_142007.jpg 20220902_142038.jpg 20220902_142236.jpg 20220902_142412.jpg

WM7C, AK2I and W0NY like this.
  6. W0NY

W0NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic setup AI6US!

Richard has done so much good for the hobby and really accelerated how we do testing into the 21st century.

PD3JH and AI6US like this.
  7. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can the software be used locally at Exam Sessions? Does it run on Windows computers? I am just getting back to doing exam sessions after being out of it since 2004. We used W5YI software then and networked computers that WERE NOT connected to the internet. I had a connected machine but the test computers were air gapped for obvious reasons plus the VEs watched the examinees. It ran really great, but now everything has upgraded in power and I fear, complexity.

8. W5MDB

W5MDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ExamTools is browser based. Check out the Ham Nation episode with Allan Batteiger, WB5QNG. His segment starts at 13:15.
    73 Mike

AK2I and AI6US like this.
  9. W2JDB

W2JDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you prevent cheating?

10. AI6US

AI6US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

During in-person exams using tablets, the candidate presents a valid ID, an FRN number and payment before the exam is administered. The tablets are secured with Kiosk software and only can connect to the assigned WiFi router, only access the ExamTools account and a calculator app. The candidates are also provided with a blank paper and pencil. No other electronic devices are allowed. The VEs are seated facing the exam tables.

Less of a chance for local shenanigans as the exams are randomly selected and then graded by the ExamTools online system. The VEs then electronically sign the CSCE, the session is closed and the electronic data and completed PDF files of the forms are uploaded. Typically licenses and upgrades are in the FCC data base the next day. Our last exam had their upgrades posted in the FCC ULS within 12 hours of the exam!

11. W5MDB

W5MDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In remote sessions, the candidate demonstrates their room is free of paper, cards, posters, TV sets, cell phones, tablets, headsets, ear buds and any other potential exam aids. VEs see all four walls, the floor, under the desk, the ceiling, and the desktop. They must share their computer screen and we look to make sure only Exam Tools is running on their browser and there are not other apps running. No one else should be in the room unless the candidate is a minor. VEs closely monitor for any suspicious behavior and listen for any unusual sounds. Having said all that a very few dedicated cheaters have tried and have been caught. It's my opinion that any effort to cheat far exceeds the effort to study and pass the exams.
    73 Mike W5MDB
    W5YI Volunteer Examiner

AI6US likes this.
  12. DL4AD

DL4AD Ham Member QRZ Page

Between the fantastic HamStudy catalog and app, and ExamTools making it easy for lots of VECs to give exams online, no one did more to help me and probably many others finally get licensed than Richard.

AI6US likes this.