ad: Schulman-1

Grand Canyon Activations Extravaganza

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Aug 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K4NXS, W9EBE, KG7HVR and 6 others like this.
  2. AD7J

AD7J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video but would be great to discuss the radio and antenna used while activating.

3. KG5AHJ

Thats a good point, i will address that in the future.

K5AGE, KG7IRJ and KJ7OES like this.
  4. N8JJM

N8JJM Ham Member QRZ Page

LOVE POTA!!! Thanks for the vids Frank. Keep them coming. 73, Joshua N8JJM

KG5AHJ likes this.
  5. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I once hit an APRS digipeater that was run by a park ranger on the South Rim, from the bank of the Colorado river, near Phantom Ranch. I used a Diamond SRH-77CA and a tiger tail wire, 5W on a Yaesu VX-8R. One of my favorite hikes in the world is Bright Angel down and South Kaibab up, or vice-versa... never gets old!

I once exchanged pseudo-CW via flashlight with someone on the s. rim while I was down the bottom. We repeated some patterns a few times. That was my longest light-wave DX, LOL.

I love SOTA, however the Grand Canyon would be better served as "Canyon on the Air" :cool:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    N7KO, KC7ZXY and KG7IRJ like this.
  6. KJ7OEC

KJ7OEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like fun!

7. KG5AHJ

It was a blast, I still have one more video left. Its going to have to wait because Huntsville is THIS WEEK.

8. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

LOVE POTA!!! Thanks for the vids Frank. Keep them coming. 73, HB9EPC :rolleyes:

KG5AHJ and N8JJM like this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I parked in the watch tower parking lot may 2016 with a icom 706 and 2 40m hamsticks on a paint pole 17 feet tall and worked several nets on 40m. People went nutts on omiss and 3905 century club. I got qsl cards for a long time after that. If you scroll down my page you will see a picture of the subaru I had back then with the paint pole and ham sticks on dipole bracket. Grand canyon area is awesome for portable.

10. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a trek to Vallés Marineris would be more of a satisfactory work-out.