ad: UR5CDX-1

Radio Scouting at Oldest Boy Scout Camp in the US

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Aug 9, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This weekend, August 12th through 14th 2022, Radio Scouting will be operating station W2T to celebrate 95 years of Scout Camping at Ten Mile River Scout Reservation in New York. TMR is the oldest and largest continually operating Scout Camp in the US.
    Founded by the efforts of future NY Governor (And US President) Franklin Delano Roosevelt and several affluent NYC Businessmen in 1927 it has been giving New York City and many other Scouts the opportunity to explore the wonderous outdoors while developing skills that last a lifetime.
    Many great men of influence throughout the years have passed trough it's gates including Celebrities, Business leaders, Astronauts, Civic leaders and Politicians.

Join us on the air as we spread the word of this great event globally Friday, Saturday and Sunday from the center of the activities.

130-032-Radio-Scouting-20112.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2022
    KD7CDC, N2YGI, K9EZ and 9 others like this.
  2. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

What bands/frequencies will you be on?
    Will you be doing any digital modes? (D-STAR, Fusion, FT8, etc)

I plan to pass this along to a local Scout leader. One of his high school
    Scouts just passed his General.

Tom
    de KC9ONY

3. CT2IXX

CT2IXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong year 2022.
    Sheared! 73

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Good catch - I edited the post to read 2022 instead of 2002 :)

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KB2FMH

We'll be on the common Legacy bands and also 17 and 12 if possible. Modes will be mostly SSB with a little FT8 if the operator for that brings his computer.
    This event is not about collecting contacts for any so-called prize but rather to actually Talk to people about their Scouting history in real time with human voices. You know FT8 or 4 is impersonal, like robots waving at each other which does not bring a smile to someone's heart.
    I may have a CW Op which will be OK.

HB9EPC, W3DO, PE1RF and 2 others like this.
  6. KB2FMH

Thanks Dave - I created it right after getting home from doing the K7K expedition and was completely exhausted as one may imaging after a 40 hour boat ride and 12 hours in the air across a 6 hour time change!
    By the way, I saw your call in the log a few times - Thanks for calling in and being a part of the most extreme pota activation ever!!

WH6LU and W7UUU like this.
  7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot to ask about the hours of operation.

I'm not a CW or FT8 person, just asking for others. ;)
    We helped out a little with JOTA last year, and did make
    some contacts on D-STAR...Scout to Scout. That was fun
    for the kids.

Tom
    de KC9ONY

8. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did I read a few years ago that the Boy Scouts DUMPED the 'HAM Radio Merit Badge' ? Stupid move!

And before I get jumped on look the crest of this article that is the Boy Scouts symbol within the circle.

de N6JSX/8, MS-EET, [HAM for +50yrs], "Life" Boy Scout, Post 1919 DeMolay Explorer Post

9. KB2FMH

We're going to hopefully be set up and on the air Friday early afternoon and operate all day / night with a break for the banquet Saturday about 6 or 7 pm then back on till Sunday midday.
    Watch the clusters for spots.

KC9ONY, KI4QAC and WH6LU like this.
  10. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

It is now a 'Radio' merit badge.

HB9EPC and KI4QAC like this.
  11. KB2FMH

Amateur Radio in Scouting is very alive Dale, hence the National Council branch called Radio Scouting and the special call K2BSA. I am on the national committee tasked with getting operating stations in long-term / summer camps in the Northeast Region.

The badges all change over the years Dale - I learned how to treat snake bites for First Aid (still have my Snake Bite Kit) and how to trap and cook small critters with snares and deadfalls for Wilderness Survival in the mid-seventies. If we asked kids to do things today that you or I did as Scouts we'd be charged with abuse! They take pillows and snacks for Wilderness Survival these days and go a few hundred feet from the troop site in camp. I was dropped from the back of a ranger's pickup truck in the wild in full uniform with nothing but a knife, flint & steel and a compass.
    I did learn about radio then via the Signaling Badge with my old plastic key with the battery and light (still have a set of them in the box!), push button flashlight for code across a lake, semaphore and wigwag.

How many kids are taught the Barrel Hitch anymore? I used a double version of it just two weeks ago to hoist 50 gallon drums of fuel off the boat to float to the island during the K7K DXpedition. The Captain was surprised as can be that an old codger even knew about that hitch, no less able to tie it while looking at him and not the barrels..

I hope you find your way into our log and look forward to talking with you personally.

Here is something current about the Radio Badge -

WK4LR, K2NED and K7KDX like this.
  12. KI4QAC

KI4QAC Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KI4QAC

KI4QAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I only got onboard in 2006 in Amateur Radio, but have been in Scouting much longer. Ham radio is still part of the Radio MB, along with SWL, Broadcast Radio, and RDF (Fox hunting, added in Jan 2019, or so) All are taught the theory, and branch off. Our last class had it all, and everyone got their MB in one day, outside in the Alabama Summer. Scouts had a blast, and the ops were wore out. One ham cannot do it alone, and some can't get past the past, but if you are up to it, please consider Volunteering to teach with your local Council even if not 'Radio' MB's. KI4QAC Shelby District, Greater Alabama Council, Thanks, Ernie

KF0FBK likes this.
  14. KB2FMH

Every Scouter brings Something to the table Ernie! Thanks for being part of it with the GAC - I have been with GNYC for many years in all kinds of roles but none more rewarding than dealing with the kids directly whether at camp teaching Scout Skills, working a JOTA station or as an advisor to our NYLT courses.

My son took to it from a Tiger, became an Eagle and worked as a Lifeguard / Asst. waterfront director at Ten Mile River for 6 years. He'd swim along with every boy or adult doing their Mile Swim rather than follow in the boat, sometimes 4 or more a day., and also helping new CITs get their Lifeguard cert.
    He's presented at LLD courses as a Vice Chief, staffed NOAC, ASPL at the 2005 Jamboree, been to Philmont for the Train the Trainer course at 14, staffed 3 NYLT courses and one Wood Badge course as a 15 year old and was the only youth in the country approved by the national training committee to wear his single staff bead which I had the honor of presenting. He has his own son now, 11 months, who is already being groomed to Follow The Trail! We all live by the Scout Oath and Law daily, even when no one is looking...

I do hope you call into W2T and say hello to a fellow "One Hour a Week" brother.

HB9EPC and W4ABC like this.
  15. K2DS

K2DS Ham Member QRZ Page