ad: MLSons-1

iPad App for Icom Remote Control

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Apr 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

SDR-Control is an iPad app developed by Marcus Roskosch DL8MRE
    https://roskosch.de/sdr-control-ios/

The app allows remote control of Icom ham radios as well as several other awesome features. It has never been easier to operate your Icom Rig.

VK5FUSE, W8JOE, PT2FM and 14 others like this.
  2. N6RWC

N6RWC Ham Member QRZ Page

what i'd wish he do is either open up support for more radios or something like that
    I've viewed his previous projects such as SmartSDR for iOS, but it's annoying how you have to pay $60 to even use the radio

HB9CCE and W7USD like this.
  3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

So it's annoying that you need to pay someone who has put in time and hard hard work to develop a good piece of usable software for hams? Everything in life should be free right?

KA4WAY, WA5RML, VK5FUSE and 29 others like this.
  4. KC3RPP

KC3RPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not fair. We're all not what you think, but I do agree about the cost. I realize it's a hobby and he who dies with the most toys wins but not all of us cheap chronic stupid complainers don't buy the radio just for the software............

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    KE0GXN likes this.
  5. N1IG

N1IG Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the MacOS version. Although it is pricey, it works very well.

If I had an iPad, I would buy this as well.

K6SDM and K8CGS like this.
  6. N6RWC

N6RWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I’m not saying get rid of the paywall completely, I’m just saying mayybeee lock certain features behind one and just let the user use their radio

7. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use your smartphone or laptop to connect with a SDR near the DX. That way you can easily work them on 70cm - 160m without needing to purchase any equipment yourself.
    Need a DXpedition on 40-80-160 but the sun is up at your house? Switch to a SDR located in darkness and you've soon got them.
    Don't have time to sit at your equipment waiting until the DX answers your call? Just set your computer to automatic using the robot radio mode. You can go sleep, watch TV, shopping or even mow the lawn and let your PC do the work.

The ARRL and other award entities will give you full credit as if you worked them from your own station.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    SP9THO, N1FJB, W7RF and 1 other person like this.
  8. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is awesome. Was waiting for an Android version of something like this. That might not happen. Not a big fan of Apple, haven't been since the Commodore 64 :cool:

For those of you who bought Icom's RS-BA1, here's what I do: Install a copy on my Surface Pro (3 and up are fine) and enjoy all modes from my sofa, no keyboard needed! Of course, you have to install apps for antenna rotator, FTx, SSTV and your favorite logger...

This app looks polished and more integrated than using RS-BA1! Bravo to the developer, nice work.

AC9HP, K0UO, VA2SS and 1 other person like this.
  9. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I operate my IC-7300 and 9700 with the RS-BA1 software. I also purchased this app to use with the 9700. At this time there is no support for the IC-7300 as it only works via a USB port. Being that the 9700 is already configured for remote access I can switch between this app and the RS-BA1 software. For $45 it's will worth the money but I will say that it requires a good solid network connection when you operate remotely. In the house I use the internal IP address of the 9700 as it seems to be more reliable than connecting from the public IP address and coming back into your network through the web. I have the app setup with an internal and external address and I can click on wither depending on where I'm at.

The guy that wrote it deserves the $45. I'd like to see the OSX app be a little less than $99 (which I have not purchased) but I suspect it is that price for two reasons. One, it's probably a separate re-write for the OSX app and I believe that he probably has it at that price becuase the RS-BA1 I believe is $150 and $99 sound much better than $150 and directly competes with the RS-BA1.

I think a lot of hams want things for free becuase they already own the radio and they feel they should be able to do everything that the radio is capable of doing because they bought the radio. Software like this wasn't part of the deal and people seem to forget that. Prior to all this new fangled computer stuff being out there, there wasn't a product on the market that you could replicate for nearly nothing once it was completed and make money off of it. That's another reason people don't want to pay for software. People don't get to see the virtual sweat equity that's involved in writing software and even just as important, supporting the software after it hits the streets. That comes with a price and people like myself don't have the abilities to write something like this. The guy deserves his price.

Curt
    WU3U

W9YW, N4LDB, W0NM and 5 others like this.
  10. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wanted to try this out BUT c'mon NO TRIAL period? 30days or 7 days.

W7AMH and K0UO like this.
  11. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually it's should be phrased.
    "You can't fix stupid without committing a capital offense "

VA3EPM, W8JOE, K6SDM and 2 others like this.
  12. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the stupid ones are those who feel the need to pay for an app to use their radio?

Seriously though, let the guy charge what he wants. Some other ham will copy it and sell it cheaper, eventually.

KE0GXN likes this.
  13. VY1RW

VY1RW Ham Member QRZ Page

There use to be something called freeware, I guess like everything else greed takes over! Kenwood offers their remote software for free!

14. AI5DQ

AI5DQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BACK IN MY DAY we communicated like REAL hams and rubbed two sticks together to produce the smoke for the smoke signals! NOWADAYS with lighters being used it's ruined the hobby!

KA4WAY, VK5FUSE, WE1G and 7 others like this.
  15. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Damn straight

K0UO likes this.