ad: CQMM-1

POTA activation using the new Packtenna mini EFHW 40/20 and FT-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Apr 2, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

First activation in a few months. I tried out my new Packtenna mini EFHW 40/20m to see if this new version can be just as good of a POTA antenna as it’s little brother that only covers 20m.

NF0J, KM4ZNT, K4SOW and 3 others like this.
  2. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$125 and sold out? Man, Im in the wrong business!

My homemade version was about $20 and also does 30, 15, 12 and 10 meters with no extra cost or materials!

Send me $20 for the secret plans!

N3UPM, KG7HVR, K8ZFJ and 4 others like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Or just buy the QRPGuys "No Tune" EFHW kit for $20ish.

I try not to be judgmental because not everyone has tools and skills to select, wind, and wire up a transformer for an EFHW, but sheesh I think I could learn all that before I paid $125 for one.

Somehow Packtenna has convinced everyone they have a secret sauce hidden under that shrinkwrap that justifies the pricetag. :D

Chris

KG7HVR, K8ZFJ, K9TDW and 3 others like this.
  4. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't post the video to advertise the antenna. I posted the video to show my activation with the equipment that I chose to use for it. I have made various antennas including EFHW. I like the form factor, I didn't mind the price so I purchased one. My video wasn't to tell everyone to buy the antenna, and if you watch the video, I do not advertise or mention much about the antenna, my video was just to to show how much fun I had on my activation. I have not been able to get out into the parks for several months.

NF0J, KM4ZNT, AC5WT and 7 others like this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you did. I was commenting on N8TGQ's post more than anything.

I did watch the video. As you said, you weren't pitching the antenna but sharing your activation. :)

Chris

NF0J likes this.
  6. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll make it for $124.99.....

K8ZFJ and WN1MB like this.
  7. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

does not surprise me that people out there are making antennas and think it time to profit dearly............amount of money on material does not equate a price tag of 125.....

im still using 2 soup cans and a piece of string and they only cost me 10 cents

N1RBD likes this.
  8. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chris,

Actually Packtenna hasn't said or implied that they have any secret sauce. George KJ6VU actually shows you exactly how he builds his products. Just take the time to look at this Youtube channel, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx9lXt5Lu3fPrjZfRO0gDmw/videos. The unabashed reality is that he builds quality products. And he has the best customer service in the business---just join his Packtenna groups.io list. Who knows why people buy rather than build? But his customer know that they're getting a smartly design, field-tested product.

Frank
    K4FMH

AC5WT and N0JMP like this.
  9. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

PackTenna is not the only one that tries to convince everyone they have the magic Bullitt. But he is not alone, I think most of us have bought store bought antennas. I built a Hexbeam based on the G3TXQ design and I machined an aluminum hub with material I already had, but after buying the fiberglass rods for the spreaders and the small S hooks and SS clamps, Flexweave wire, SS bolts I was into it for about $600.00. This was about 5 years ago and Today you can buy the same designed Hexbeam ready to assemble for $660.00.

Would I build one again instead of buying one? the answer is yes because I have a machine shop and lot's of aluminum material.
    Also I have an antenna analyzer, and being retired I have the time, and enjoy building my antennas.

So if someone buys a store bought I am not going to tell them they should have built there own. But it it is a simple Dipole or EFHW or a 2 meter J pole, it would be worth their while to build their own.

K6MCS and K8ZFJ like this.
  10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

PackTenna is not the only one that tries to convince everyone they have the magic Bullitt. But he is not alone, I think most of us have bought store bought antennas. I built a Hexbeam based on the G3TXQ design and I machined an aluminum hub with material I already had, but after buying the fiberglass rods for the spreaders and the small S hooks and SS clamps, Flexweave wire, SS bolts I was into it for about $600.00. This was about 5 years ago and Today you can buy the same designed Hexbeam ready to assemble for $660.00.

Would I build one again instead of buying one? the answer is yes because I have a machine shop and lot's of aluminum material.
    Also I have an antenna analyzer, and being retired I have the time, and enjoy building my antennas.

So if someone buys a store bought I am not going to tell them they should have built there own. But it it is a simple Dipole or EFHW or a 2 meter J pole, it would be worth their while to build their own.

K6MCS likes this.
  11. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More power to the guy that can earn a Buck in
    Ham Radio

KI5GFU, AC5WT, N7KO and 1 other person like this.
  12. KC2JMS

KC2JMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m wondering if W4FTD will ever post another video

AC5WT, AD2DD and WB4E like this.
  13. KG5QNO

KG5QNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video, thanks for posting your POTA activation!

AC5WT, AD2DD and W4FDT like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what the amateur radio world needs: another POTA activation video - 'phone, of course - from an otherwise nondescript park, common transceiver, and common antenna. The only saving grace was the video run time.

W4ANE, AE0Q and KG7HVR like this.
  15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The video shows when these kind of activations getting fast and explicable. Good clip for people who want to start to go in that direction.

W4FDT and W0DN like this.