ad: k1jek

Icom ID-52 Overview and Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0JSX, Jan 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M0JSX

M0JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom launched the long awaiting ID-52 at the end of 2021. It is the most expensive dual band handheld on the market. What does £519.95/$649.95 get you?

ON8EI, AD0HT, M7KWM and 2 others like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

@M0JSX: Did you purchase this or was it loaned or gifted to you?

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just after the 13-minute mark he mentions that he bought it with his own money.

It's a decent vid--the only suggestion I have to offer is about his mention of schmutz falling into the case, potentially damaging the radio's screen. Maybe covering the screen with the same kind of screen protector material used for smartphones would prevent that from happening? You can buy one and cut it to size.

All told, a user might spend around a grand for the radio, an extra battery, software, case, and other accessories. I'd be interested in buying one, but that's a lot of money to listen to dead air. (Welcome to Ceti Alpha 5.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    WB5UZI, PY2NEA, KO4CES and 2 others like this.
  4. M0JSX

M0JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes. Paid for with my own money

AJ6VQ, 2E0WSJ and K4QN like this.
  5. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

This looks like a very effective upgrade of the ID-51's features, functions, and controls... with a nicer display and interface.

I wonder how the "real life" performance (other than the improved T/R audio) of the ID-52 compares with that of the ID-51.

He was fortunate to find a case (LC-193) so easily... few dealers have any in stock, and many do not even list it.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Never will spend that on a handheld. Won't spend that on a cell phone either. Maybe that's the difference.

AJ6VQ, KC2SIZ, N4RTD and 7 others like this.
  7. KG7AV

KG7AV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a solid rig, and I'm an Icom fan usually. But I'll stick with my Kenwood TH-D74A. Triband Tx/Rx, D-STAR, GPS, APRS, KISS TNC via USB or Bluetooth, and wide-band receiver capability.

KA1YBS, AB0R, KO4CES and 4 others like this.
  8. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@M0JSX Well presented, Sir.

I just can't seem to get excited about VHF/UHF FM/digital radios though. £519 is a hell of a lot of money, do excuse my ignorance, what would a radio of lesser value, say £300-£350 give you, please?

It's a genuine question as my one and only handheld is a Baofeng UV5R from quite (one of the first ones...) a few years ago. When I listen to the local 2M and 70cm chatter via SDR, it can be quite painful to say the least.

Really glad to hear you made it up to Lancaster, was it GB3LD you used or (if still going?) GB3LF in Lakeland? My old territory and GB3LD saw my first ever licenced transmission.

ATB.

Kev

9. WN1MB

Thanks, gents. Not being an HT enthusiast, though I started watching the video, I didn't quite make it to the 13-minute mark.

10. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

What if he hadn’t? The gentleman used to work for the largest Radio store in the U.K. so I’m guessing in future he may borrow items to review. Now I know you well from these forum’s and I know you will hate his content so I’d suggest you didn’t watch anymore for your own sanity.

11. W4RTW

W4RTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A nice tour of the radio. Well done.

12. WN1MB

An unwarranted attack.

I watched most of the video as I was unfamiliar with the presenter and was curious about Icom's latest/greatest - even though not being an HT enthusiast. I found the video well made and enjoyable to watch and the presenter refreshingly unassuming.

My question was innocent curiosity, considering the price of the HT. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Calm down.

KC9MAQ, G4VRR, K1NEW and 11 others like this.
  13. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

A good handheld, but much to expensive for hamradio. The ICOM devices comes first from the professional sector and got a downgrade to hamradio. For me the company ICOM is on the same level like AOR. And when somebody does a look through the offered devices of them, that explains the prices. Some devices of them are things which are not really for to use at home.

N3WMC likes this.
  14. N2QGV

N2QGV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good presentation. I believe if China could produce a sub $400 ID51+(if possible), there are not enough features on the ID52 to make the purchase worthwhile, unless you like looking at a waterfall of the Simplex portion of band. A 50 watt mobile rig with a much larger antenna is a better radio to chase simplex than a HT. A cheap Chinese knockoff and Hams would flock to them just like DMR radios. I laid my 51+ on desk while you ran the review. Most notable missing 1) Black on White or White on Black color screen 2) Waterfall 3) Bluetooth. Thanks for the look see.

AJ6VQ and M0JSX like this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh god now he will report you for moderation because that's what these people do. :D

N3FAA likes this.