ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 228 - The New Radio on the Space Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The new radio on the International Space Station is now up and running! Frank Bauer, KA3HDO and members of the ARISS team will be on the show LIVE Thursday night (9/17) to talk about it and take your questions and comments.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 3:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

ARISS Space Bkgnd_14.jpg Frank-H.-Bauer-KA3HDO-264x300.jpg

M1WML, KE8EC, KF4ZKU and 4 others like this.
  2. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great stuff! I've been listening to the traffic on the cross band repeater when the station passes my qth. Downlink is 437.800 MHz and uplink
    is 145.990, tone 67 Hz. Five minutes of fun! 73 KG8ZQ, Jerry.

M1WML, W7EZN, N5PP and 6 others like this.
  3. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you hear from Japan?

JF1IRQ

M1WML and ZL4AX like this.
  4. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

When a station is within the footprint of the ISS, it may be possible to contact another station that is in the same footprint. I use www.n2yo.com to track and observe the ISS and other satellites. Additionally there are applications one can use on their phone, or computer programs as well.

Here is a snapshot from the N2YO.com website that is displaying the footprint of the ISS. In this example, someone in Miami Florida, U.S.A could talk with another operator in Quito, Ecuador and or Caracas, Venezuela, etc. 楽しいです

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    KK4HPY, M1WML, KU4GW/SK2023 and 6 others like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Photo confused me with the space shuttle in the background

I have heard the ISS on many passes/ sounds like it's working good and there's definitely a lot of activity.
    Something that was needed a long time ago

M1WML, AK5B and K5MPH like this.
  6. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Any orbital prediction apps available for Android?
    I heard I.S.S once, made one contact with WD9EWK, Pat, then a second tried, but never made connection.
    Nothing heard since..

M1WML likes this.
  7. PP2FM

PP2FM Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "KA9UCE, post: 5602522, member: 36626"] Algum aplicativo de previsão orbital disponível para Android?
    Eu ouvi ISS uma vez, fiz um contato com WD9EWK, Pat, depois tentei um segundo, mas nunca fiz a conexão.
    Nada mais ouvido desde.

APP ISS DETECTOR

M1WML, KA9UCE and KC4LZN like this.
  8. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always thankful for the help.
    That looks fun.

JF1IRQ

M1WML likes this.
  9. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cool news :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

M1WML likes this.
  10. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use AmsatDroid Free. ISS Detector is another good app. The free version tracks just the ISS, and the Pro version tracks other satellites.

Since the late night/early morning passes became evening passes here in Arizona, things are a lot busier. Harder to get through, and many times you need more than 5W to be heard. Since pass times are always shifting, there will be other chances to work the ISS repeater with HT power levels.

73!

KD2MMM, M1WML, K5MPH and 1 other person like this.
  11. VU2EXP

VU2EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that's great service enabled! I remain fan of ISS and ARISS activities. This cross band orbiting repeater surely attracting more hams to try satellite qso, I am regularly making QSO through it. One thing I observed is working ISS Repeater at low elevation is bit difficult with my 5W portable setup, perhaps receiver squelch is set on higher side - things needed to check! In good elevation it perfectly works fine for me.
    Long live ISS & all the Radios in the service!
    Rajesh VU2EXP
    ML52JH

M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  12. PD1BU

PD1BU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All
    I use heavens above has all sattelites and ISS andriod app

M1WML, KG7HVR and W2MIX like this.
  13. KD2PII

KD2PII Ham Member QRZ Page

interesting... i had thought the newer repeaters had the uplink on UHF

M1WML likes this.
  14. VP2EIH

VP2EIH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff,
    See ya on the birds!!
    73 Ira-VP2EIH

M1WML likes this.
  15. KG5EYC

KG5EYC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used Orbitrack for years on my iphone and just brought up the ISS on it, looks like this app will serve as my source very well.

M1WML likes this.