ad: CQMM-1

SOTA Activation on Kratka Ridge W6/CT-014 in the San Gabriel Mountains

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video I will show a Summits On The Air (SOTA) Activation on short but steep hike to a prominent ridge in the San Gabriel High Country in Los Angeles County With K6TNT and Myself KK6USY useing HT's and a Chameleon MPAS antenna. We pass through a abandoned ski resort, and top it off with outstanding views of the middle of the front range and San Gabriel Wilderness.

K6MAA, K3ETD, N5TXW and 7 others like this.
  2. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video Chuck! Remember the mic goes in the antenna port!

3. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I also worked K9VD during my SOTA activation on Memorial day!

KK6USY likes this.
  4. AA6TK

AA6TK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the SOTA video!

Brings back fond memories of the beautiful area.

I used to live down the hill in La Canada and use to do a couple ski runs at Kratka before going into work when there was feet of snow there every year. Climate change ended that about 25 years ago.

KK6USY likes this.
  5. KK6USY

I was told by a couple of buddies that this area may have burned last week I hope it didn't so more can enjoy the area.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope you didn't solder it.

7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice SOTA trip did you ride your bikes all the way from foothill ? Hi Hi ! that might be the last time for Kratka Ridge as the "Bob Cat" fire just burned the east end of the ridge as of today 9-15-2020 the fire is 41,000 acres ! thanks again for the video I have been up there many time in my life Chuck catch you on the next SOTA Phil KI6PMD..

KK6USY likes this.
  8. KK6USY

No Phil no bikes this time, yea thats terrible maybe I'll go back later a record the fire damage.

9. K3ETD

K3ETD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering, I use to go out to the LA area many years ago to go to company training. I spent alot of time up on the Angles Crest highway and mount Baldy. Is the ski lodge and lift still working up there?
    That area gives you some very good views and places to have some fun on ham radio. Thanks guys

10. KK6USY

The Ski lift is there I don't believe it is working.

VK2HBG likes this.
  11. VK2HBG

VK2HBG Subscriber QRZ Page

Good sota video guys looked a nice location. Some good signals.
    Take care 73 Gerald VK2HBG.

12. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lift is still open, an old friend of mine owned it. When I was in my 20's Van Halen used to play at the lodge at the top, before they hit the big time. The restaurant down in the village still has good food.

KK6USY likes this.
  13. W6ST

W6ST Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned to ski there in the early 70's and eventully worked there for a few seasons. Great little ski area. I believe that it was consumed by the Bobcat fire in the last couple weeks.. Bummer.

14. KE5TOB

KE5TOB Ham Member QRZ Page

I got stuck in the chairlift coming down the face of Mt. Baldy sometime back in the late 60's. There was blowing snow and a chair in front of me got iced up and jammed in the drive wheel at the bottom. What was a nice morning skiing after working nights turned into a 6 hour ordeal plus the drive home to North Hollywood in rush hour traffic. Skiing and views were great from the top of the mountain.
    KE5TOB 9/26/20

15. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a bummer, a couple of my friends and I had a New Years tradition of skiing Baldy in the am and surfing the trestles in the afternoon.