ad: M2Ant-1

Xiegu G90 First Look & Current Draw

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Feb 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Logopit_1582333369237.jpg

W2CQ, KK5R, BG0AVI and 8 others like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the review.

KK5R, KK4HPY, KF4ZKU and 1 other person like this.
  3. OH8STN

Not so much of a review than an introduction with current measurements. Still I appreciate the kindness.
    Julian oh8stn

N4FZ, KK5R, KK4HPY and 1 other person like this.
  4. OH8STN

Hello operators.
    Just to clarify starting the series with current consumption. For the field radio operator or the operator off grid, the radios current consumption couldn't be any more important. The rigs current draw defines whether we use a 2.5 amp hour battery, or a 20 amp hour battery. It defines weather will need it 30 watt solar panel, or a 120 watt solar panel. Of course I'm just throwing these examples out there, to add context. Anyway I didn't want to share another "personal opinion" video. So the series will focus on what to expect from this radio, and how to work with this radio.
    Julian oh8stn

N4FZ, KK5R, IZ3QVB and 3 others like this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but the Current Draws and output power was just what I wanted to know. Look forward to more detailed reviews down the road.

W9WQA, W4YAH, KK5R and 2 others like this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

An item FLdigi and JS8 users might like to see is how well width and band-pass are adjustable; in a direct conversion SDR radio, there is no IF Shift. Can it narrow down to 500hz at 1000 on the FLdigi waterfall to keep Pactor and Vara next to it from stepping on a MFSK-32 signal? It is really easy to shift -500 width set 500 on the Yeasu FT-891/FT-991a/450 etc when running JS8 and Fldigi simultaneously.

On the IC-7300 I cannot get the Twin Pass-band filters and the width setting to get down that narrow at 1000 on the water fall. Instead if I have a MFSK signal running at 1000 on the waterfall, I have to tune down 500hz to bring the signal into the 1500 range the band pass filters were designed to work at. I think the X90 maybe that way also due to how Direct-SDRs are programmed.

OH8STN likes this.
  7. OH8STN

The manipulation of filters, shift, ... on the ft-891 is exceptional. I can already tell you it's not that easy on the G90. You can manipulate the filters to a great extent, but it's almost an annoying process, process. if you're used to the Yaesu ft-891.
    I'll keep this discussion in mind and perhaps do an episode on manipulating the filters with the g90.
    Excellent points.
    Julian oh8stn

W4YAH, IZ3QVB, KQ6XA and 1 other person like this.
  8. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

In case anyone is looking to remote control this rig, I have created a G90 "radio file" for the Android PocketRxTx app. It's in the central repository and can be directly downloaded into the app. Note, however, I don't have the G90 myself, so the commands available are based on information about which CiV CAT commands are supported that I have managed to find online. Remote control is via USB cable or, if you add an RPi or WinPC with the free server program, (jarecmini for Rpi, Jarec for WinPC), Remote control is over LAN, WLAN or Internet.

Here's a thought ... with more and more Android based head units being used as multimedia devices in cars (especially the aftermarket car-multimedia units) - put the rig in the boot under the mobile antenna, run a USB cable and operate it from the cars multimedia unit using that units handsfree capabilities.

73 Ed.

IZ3QVB likes this.
  9. BH8PHG

BH8PHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha I have a G90 Radio last year.Thanks for your detailed review.The G90 is really an interesting rig,it's a cheap SDR radio that our poor students can afford,20w RF power is enough for CW and FT8 oprate.I even used it to participated IARU HF championship(SSB),It's doing great!And it's very portable. It's a cute little radio,I think this radio is a good choice for you to try SDR technology.

MW1CFN and IZ3QVB like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Attention to deniers of The Obvious: maximum current draw specification is in the on-line manual.

W9WQA likes this.
  11. K1TWH

K1TWH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So can this rig do full power for say RTTY, JS8Call, or what is the duty cycle. How about chassis radiation, would it meet EU level requirements? Lots more to review, but it certainly does fill in where the ole Ten Tec Argonaut V left off. Tnx -Tom K1TWH

N4FZ likes this.
  12. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

for those curious about specs, be aware that you can xmit on the am bcst band,like 890,wls chicago...

13. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, very informative, I have this & the 817 - Kx2 - 891 & SParrow SDR, Mizuho etc.

N4FZ likes this.
  14. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah...riiight. Sure you did.

N4FZ likes this.
  15. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not unusual for any manufacturer, but especially the Chinese ones, to have specs say one thing and the real world testing show something else.

N9FM, N4FZ and KK4HPY like this.